Server is rebooting or shutdown by itself after OS boots up completely RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have a DELL PowerEdge 710 server running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition OS
    This machine has Power Vault MD3200 DAS box connected through 6gbp SAS connector

The issue with this machine is that it is rebooting or shutdown by itself after OS boots up completely and stays on the login screen for an indefinate time.

Action was taken so far;
    We have taken a backup of data on it
    We have disconnected DAS box and tried to run this server 
    We have run physical memory test and complete hardware test on all of its components
    We have raised a call with DELL and they have thoroughly checked and confirmed that there is no issue with any of its hardware.
    On the OS side 
    We have checked its system and application events, as per this shutdown command is coming from NT Authority/System user.
    We have checked windows patches on this server 
    We have run a full virus scan using Trend Micro and also ran a MS MRT for malware detection. However, came up empty.

Please suggest how else would we try an troubleshoot this issue.

Friday, December 9, 2016 8:46 AM

All replies

• you should check the event log to know the reason........

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia
    Please verify the answer if it helps you.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 5:32 AM
  • Thank you! Sandeep for your reply.

We started our OS related troubleshooting from system and application event logs, as I mentioned earlier in my comments. We did not see any concrete evidence to point this issue to a something. 

Do you have any other solution to this, may be any other places in the OS where I can find my issue?

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:28 AM
  • If you tested the hardware and you didn't detect any issue, your problem should be related with Windows license.

Double check if when you logg on safe mode the server won't reboot. If not you have license issue. If auto-reboot on safe mode probably you have hardware issue.

an2nathan

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:39 AM