Image Current Vista Installation And Run On Windows 7 Ultimate As Virtual Machine RRS feed

• Question

• My main desktop is a Vista Ultimate machine and I would like to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on it. However, I have Adobe Web Standard CS3 set up on this machine and if I re-installed it on Windows 7 Ultimate I would have to get it all set up again for preferences, to point to my web sites, etc which I don't want to do. I would rather replace Adobe Web Standard when CS5 comes out and install it fresh on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Using Microsoft technologies is there any way I can somehow image my current Vista Ultimate installation and run it as a virtual machine on Windows 7 Ultimate and still have Adobe Web Standard CS3 work as it did before?

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• By "using MS technologies" do you mean you don't want to use any 3rd party utilities?
    If so, you might be able to do this.  MS has a free tool that will copy your hard drive to a VHD, but, if drive is bigger than 127GB you can't use it in VPC.  You may also have to do a repair install to get the correct HAL and virtual hardware drivers installed.
    There are 3d party programs, like Acronis True Image and Paragon's Virtualization Manager (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/vm-personal/) that will do all the back-end work for you.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Try using Disk2vhd available for free from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

If you have HAL problems, you'll need to replace the HAL. My blog post covers HAL issues: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/john_paul_cook/archive/2009/08/29/migrating-a-virtual-machine-from-virtual-pc-to-hyper-v-and-back.aspx
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Thanks for both of your replies.

I'm afraid smjain lost me on the third sentence of his reply, I didn't understand a word of anything in the article and blog John links to and I haven't got a clue what a HAL is. It all looks too complicated and I think I'll just wait until CS5 comes out before migrating to Win 7 Ultimate.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply,
    Malcolm
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:37 PM
  • It sounds more complicated than it is, but that is why there is a market for 3rd party tools that will do the hard work for you.

One thing that may work is the Windows Easy Transfer.  I've had pretty good luck with it.  It "may" be able to move all your Adobe settings over for you automagically.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Where, and what is the free MS tool?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:26 PM
  • It's in John's post, link and all.
    Disk2vhd available for free from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Windows Easy Transfer only transfers settings. It does not transfer installed programs.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Hi Malcolm,

Just a suggestion, why not install Windows 7 as a second operation system so it will be a dual boot system configuration since create a system image is a little complex. After installing Adobe Web Standard CS5 onto Windows7, we can then remove Windows Vista from the computer.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:32 AM
  • That's a great idea Shaon and one I should have thought of. Could you point me to some info on how to do this and how to remove the dual boot afterwards?

smjain, thanks again for trying to help. Eventually I would like to run Vista and Windows XP as virtual machines on Win 7 Ultimate, could you point me to any beginners level info on how to do this?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Here are 2 websites which provided the steps we need.

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista

Remove or Uninstall Windows 7 beta from Dual Boot (and Clean install Windows 7 RC)

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Tip: For the remove steps, we will need to remove the Windows Vista entry instead of Windows 7 in the second website. Make sure the files we need are already backed up before format the Windows Vista system.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Thanks Shaon, I will do this. I'm happy this has been answered now.

Many thanks.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:45 AM