none
Issues with deploying Multiple CAS? RRS feed

• Question

• So there is a lot of information on how to avoid using a CAS, but not a lot of information on using more than 1 CAS in the case of supporting more than 400k clients.  I assume you need to create a new hierarchy to do this, but my question is...  What are the drawbacks to using more than 1 CAS for a single environment?
    Monday, November 18, 2013 4:58 PM

All replies

• You can have more than 1 ConfigMgr infrastructure in your environment.  The big drawbacks are that they can't talk to one another and you have double the everything (effort/infrastructure/SQL Enterprise licenses).

A single CAS has a published support limit of 400,000 clients.  How many do you have?

I highly recommend either engaging Microsoft Premier Support or a consulting firm experienced with massive infrastructures (Kent Agerlund/CoreTech A/S or similar MVP) to help architect your implementation.  There aren't a lot of people with experience with 400,000+ client environments outside of Microsoft.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I have spoken to a MS engineer and it was suggested to not go with 2 hierarchies and instead try to fit almost double the supported clients into one CAS.  Considering that the client will be leveraging every possible tool in CM12, I don't think this will be wise given that things such as on-demand hardware inventories are a business requirement. 

700k clients w/ 400k+ mobile devices + estimated support for BYOD is around 300k+...

Monday, November 18, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Then you'll definitely want to engage someone experienced like Kent Agerlund (or similar MVP) for help with the capacity planning with each component.  There are a ton of variables that come into play with environments this size that just aren't documented and only a handful of people understand thoroughly.  Your Microsoft rep should also be able to make recommendations of partners with experience in this space.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Monday, November 18, 2013 5:34 PM typo
    Monday, November 18, 2013 5:33 PM
  • There's no MVP that has experience with 700k+ clients if I am not mistaken, but that's not the biggest problem here. You have to get Microsoft on board because this will definitely exceed the supported number of clients.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:37 PM