Storage Spaces - how to make the storage space smaller? RRS feed

• Question

• I started a storage space with 10TB just to try it out - I only really have around 1.5TB disk space available at the moment. That 10TB turned out not to be very practical - e.g., the quick "space available" graph on the Windows explorer / Computer screen says "9.44TB of 10TB free" and the percentage bar is not very useful as I am and probably will always be somewhere around 10% of total space available.

So I tried to change the space available but it will only allow me to increase the storage space size, not to decrease it. Am I doing something wrong or is it a limitation of the current version of Storage Spaces? BTW I tried to set it to 2TB and I currently have ~500GB real data on it so I'm definitely not trying to set it too low of a value.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:26 PM

Answers

• You are not doing something wrong, a storage space can only grow.  But do not worry.  The Storage Spaces control panel by default uses thin provisioning.  That means that even if you have a 10TB storage space, the space will only allocate capacity on-demand, as you copy more file into the space.

If you really want to take the size of the storage space down, you will have to create a second, smaller space, copy your files into it, then delete the space that was too large.

-Darren

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, September 3, 2012 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Borek Bernard Monday, September 3, 2012 9:36 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:03 PM

All replies

• You are not doing something wrong, a storage space can only grow.  But do not worry.  The Storage Spaces control panel by default uses thin provisioning.  That means that even if you have a 10TB storage space, the space will only allocate capacity on-demand, as you copy more file into the space.

If you really want to take the size of the storage space down, you will have to create a second, smaller space, copy your files into it, then delete the space that was too large.

-Darren

• Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, September 3, 2012 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Borek Bernard Monday, September 3, 2012 9:36 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:03 PM
  • I just ran into this problem as well.  This is very confusing especially when adding drives, I couldn't understand if my storage space was actually going to use them, so I increased my space to a huge 10TB, just to see if anything I could do would get it to use the new drives.  I could still remove all 4 of the new drives I added after that increase, until I actually started copying new data to the space, then I realized it was starting to use them and I could no longer remove them.  The UI is not very intuitive in regards to understanding what is actually happening.

Now I want to lower my space to match the actual physical capacity, otherwise the "Space free" indicator in Explorer is worthless, just like the OP said.  So based on the answer, I am stuck moving TB's of files to a new space that will take 8-10 hours.  There has to be a better way MS!  At least warn us that by increasing the space, you will NEVER be able to lower it again. =(((((

• Edited by akaSurreal Friday, November 2, 2012 10:51 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 10:48 PM