none
Microsoft Project 2016 Gantt Chart - Timeline woes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I have got a bizarre issue with Microsoft Project 2016 when using the Gantt chart. When ever I change the timeline in the Gantt chart from specific days to weeks (Week 1, Week 2 etc.) it randomly shows the weeks that happen before the start date. They appear in the Gantt chat time line as: Week – 3, Week -2, Week -1 and there is no project activity during that period. This looks really unprofessional when showing a high level plan to a client.

Any ideas how I can get rid of minus numbers?
    it seems senseless to me
    Thanks, Jon
    Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:43 PM

All replies

• Jon,

I think you really mean the Timescale, not the Timeline. The Timescale is the right side of the Gantt Chart view that shows the Gantt display. The Timeline is a separate "mini-view" that appears above the Gantt Chart view.

You have chosen a tier label that is a count instead of a specific week (i.e. week 1, week 2, etc. instead of 12/4, 12/11, etc.). As such the count has to start from somewhere and you have chosen the label that starts from the Project Start date. So, anything before that date is going to be a negative count.

There is no way to display a count type label without negative values prior to the project start, unless you select a repetitive count label such as 1,2,3,...52.

The fix is simple, don't use a count type label or if you do, use a repetitive count label.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, December 10, 2016 4:14 PM