Roaming Profile errors after updating to SP3 - Event ID 1509, 1515 and 1511 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Since the windows update to SP3 and IE8, we have problems with all Windows XP computers on our network with roaming profiles and occurs when users log off and log back on Windows session.

Users get “IETldCache \ index.dat” messages during logon and the eventlog the following EventID `s 1509, 1515,1511 writed.

---------------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1509
    Date: 10/15/2010
    Time: 10:59:23 p.m.
    User: Domain \ USERNAME
    Computer: Computer Name
    Description:
    Windows can not copy file \ \ Server \ Usrdata \ Profiles \ USERNAME \ IETldCache \ index.dat to location C: \ Documents and Settings \ USERNAME \ IETldCache \ index.dat copy. Possible Causes of this error include network problems or Insufficient security rights. If this problem persist, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The process can not access the file Because it is being Used by another process.

-----------

Event ID: 1515

Description::

Windows has backed up this user's profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backed up profile the next time this user logs on..

----------

Event ID: 1511

Description::

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

----------

Following the advice I have uphclean installed on computers with sp3.
    The problem is especially after installing version 1.6 UPHclean become more.
    Since the installation we get more 1509.1515 and 1509 reports.

I have a few computers at the uphclean 1.6 uphclean removed and installed version 2.0 beta for testing and this was no solution.

I have the profiles of a few users reset, but it also helps for a while. It was not a final solution.
    I can not find any information on the Microsoft support site.

Does anyone have other ideas or have a solution to this problem?

I also enclose a detailed Userenv.log.

USERENV download

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:30 PM

All replies

• Try the Tool UPHClean. Install it on the problem computers, Also you should try recreating the problematic profiles if after using the tool.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:57 PM
  • I have different versions of uphclean also tried, but this was no solution. The problem is just after the installation worse.

If I manually remove the problematic profiles, then the problem is temporarily solved. But after a few weeks, the same errors again.

So the removal of profiles and UPHclean was not a definitive solution.

The problem occurs only when the PC `s with SP3 and IE8. The PC `s with XP SP2 with IE6 have no problems.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:10 AM
  • I am not sure then what could be your problem.

Are your users local admins? Also what are the differences between the configurations of users that never get the problem and the users that get the problem?

Is there any special software installed or starting up with the user's accounts, which might lock the profile?

It seems that your have to do a bit of trial and error there and find out which file gets locked and what is locking it. "DETAIL - The process can not access the file Because it is being Used by another process. "

Try recreating a user profile, and then with msconfig disable all the startup apps, to see if the problem recurs again. There could be a lot of things that could cause the issues but if I would start researching the problem I would look at the diferences between profiles that don't crash and the ones that crash.

Try to find software online that deal with locked files.

I think you need someone that has meet this issue before. Because this could be related to anything... Permissions, OU membership, Group memberships and so on. The only way you can find an answer is either by getting lucky, or taking it step by step.

Also you can try with a clean computer, for a user that gets the problem, and monitor it closely.

I have no other ideas at the momment.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:26 PM
  • I currently have the same issue and was wondering if you ever found a solution?

Running XP SP3 with IE8 profils will get this issue.  IF i delete the IETldCache folder under %userprofile%\ the profile works again for a couple weeks then issue occurs where the user no longer has permission to index.dat in the IETldCache folder.

This issue doesn't happen with XP SP3 running IE7, so I am positive this is an IE8 issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:02 PM