Disk(s) on RAID controller "formats" to RAW RRS feed

• Question

•  

I purchased a Highpoint RocketRaid 3120 controller. The installation of the card and building of the RAID 1 went smoothly. After going into Disk Management I could see that Vista recognized the RAID as it showed a single logical disk drive. Vista showed the drive as un-initialized. Therefore, as with previous RAIDs I initialized the drive and then created a partition. I then attempted to format the partition to NTFS. Vista showed the formatting of the disk and the progress. When it reached 100% Vista showed the disk/partition as RAW. No matter what steps I took Vista will not format this RAID to NTFS. Thinking that there was a problem with the two disks in my RAID I then reverted those disks back to the motherboard and was able to format the partitions/disk properly. I then took another single hard drive and attached it to the RAID controller. Vista recognized this drive and showed my disk correctly with three partitions of file type NTFS. I then tried to re-format one of the partitions and got the same result; Vista came back showing the partition as RAW.
    I have searched all over the internet (Microsoft forums, etc…) and cannot find any information on why Vista will not properly format a disk connected to your RAID controller. What am I missing here?
    Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:05 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks for the reply.  The controller card was also causing my system to sporadically lock-up.  After trying over and over I finally got the disks to format.  However, whenever I started copying files to the disks my system would lock up.  I've since yanked the card and haven't had any further lock-up issues.  Highpoint support was of no help; they didn't have a clue.  The on-line retailer from where I purchased the card agreed to take it back at full refund.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 1:49 PM

All replies

• I checked the drivers that are for your Rocket Raid Card.

There "may" be an incompatibility with Vista if you loaded SP1...

I believe the latest file creation date I saw was January 08, which means there may have been some changes made before the final release of SP1 that caused an incompatibility to crop up...

Does your motherboard have RAID built in? Can you use that instead of the card?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:10 PM
  • I purchased/installed the controller card at just about the same time that

the SP1 came out, but don't remember which one I installed first.

However, you may be correct as to a conflict with the controller drivers and SP1.

It is a lead worth following up on with Highpoint. Thank you.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:48 PM
  • Hi RR 3rd,

Here I want to add some of my comment after Mandark, whose sharing is nice. I’m not sure if this is a compatibility issue as the Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) doesn’t include the info of this model. For that information you may need to ask High Point.

Generally, if a partition is formatted as RAW rather than the expect (NTFS, FAT32 etc.), this means the formatting process cannot be finished correctly. The reason that may cause this problem is quite complex, a common one is that the partition is larger than what the system can support.

Cheers,

Lionel

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:21 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply.  The controller card was also causing my system to sporadically lock-up.  After trying over and over I finally got the disks to format.  However, whenever I started copying files to the disks my system would lock up.  I've since yanked the card and haven't had any further lock-up issues.  Highpoint support was of no help; they didn't have a clue.  The on-line retailer from where I purchased the card agreed to take it back at full refund.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 1:49 PM