Migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• When migrating from one domain to another, is it a common practice to break the domain membership and add clients to a 'workgroup' or can you just run the http://connect to join the new domain.  I have read the documentation on the Migration, but Microsoft does not seem to address that issue.  All the migration tools seem very cool; has anyone actually done to see if they all work well?
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Without knowing which guide you are following for the migration I can not be certain. However a true migration will not require a new domain as the original will stay. If you are starting from scratch as the posts starts to suggest then you will need to take each workstation back to a workgroup and join to the new domain using http://connect.

Remember to set the local administrator password before doing so otherwise you will have to use a live cd of some kind to reset it. You will also need to capture the local domain profile if you wish to have access to the files in my documents, desktop etc....
    Monday, January 3, 2011 4:07 PM
  • When migrating from one domain to another, is it a common practice to break the domain membership and add clients to a 'workgroup' or can you just run the http://connect to join the new domain.  I have read the documentation on the Migration, but Microsoft does not seem to address that issue.  All the migration tools seem very cool; has anyone actually done to see if they all work well?

I would not consider it best practise to change domain member ship at all.

Why do you not just add the SBS2011 to the SBS2003 domain, by using the Microsfot or any other methology that is well known to be working and somehow painfree, like the Swingmigration.com one?!
    We have done both outnumberous times and I can confirm they work very well.

Computer am Arbeitsplatz per WakeOnLAN (WOL) über den EBS und SBS Remote-Webarbeitsplatz (RWW) einschalten: http://WOL4RWW.de Jetzt auch für den SBS 2008 RWW!!
    • Proposed as answer by Oliver Sommer Friday, January 7, 2011 8:21 AM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Thanks, I am talking about migrating to a new server.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Thanks, I tried one, it was a nightmare.  Swingmigration.com......I have not heard of that one.  The SBS 2011 Migration tool does do something like that, adding to the network with both in 'play' for 21 days.  It just does not expound upon the final step of adding all the clients.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

If you are migrating, this is for the microsoft method as for the swing migration, all clients keep connected to the domain, you do not have to reconnect any clients because the domain will be kept the same.

Regards Ronny
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Hey Ronny

Are you referring to the Microsoft Migration Tool bundled in the SBS 2011 installation DVD?

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:42 PM
  • I don't know what is bundled on the installation dvd, but I'm referring to the migration article on technet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg563801.aspx. It describes all steps to take during a migration.

Regards Ronny
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Thanks Ronny, that is the article I have been studying for the upcoming migration.  I will post a note as to how it goes.  The only part that is vague is at the end, where all the clients are connected to the 'new' domain or whether you have to manually connect them.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:30 AM
  • My experience in migrations, I have not done the migration to SBS2011 yet, but from 2003 to 2008 the clients stay connected to the domain. You will not have to manually connect them again. I don't think this is changed when migrating to 2011

Regards Ronny
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Hi gcrab, have you resolved the issue? If there is anything we can help, please feel free to let us know.

=====================

Sean Zhu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Everyone will be happy to know that the Migration Tool with the SBS 2011 STD works pretty well.  The key is the preparation of the sorce server and following the directions in the documentation from TechNet.  Most of it is good, with some holes; from Microsoft.......Oh No!

One note though, the moving of Exchange mailboxes to the new box happens very slowly, compared to Exmerge.  I am in the fianl stages and soon to accomplish the final, 'Finish Windows SBS 2011 Satndard migration'.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:00 AM