can i change the menu's position after a right click on an item on my taskbar? RRS feed

• Question

• i just installed windows 7, and im sorry to say its giving me a headache.  ms has been tooting about how 7 is going to be simple, but its really like a complex picture book.
     for one, when i right click an item on the taskbar, i hate how the window opens up top instead to the side!  i mean, its been opening to the side for all your previous operating systems, why are u trying to break the habit now?  its easier to shift the mouse to the side rather than push my wrist up.
    is there also a way to turn off the mini view when i mouse over the item in the taskbar?

please help!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Choose either Windows Classic theme or windows 7 basic from Personalization to disable Aero. You would then not have thumbnail previews for the taskbar but only text content.

Regarding to the position of menu, I agree with chrullrich that you need to form a new habit to get used to it. Microsoft's intentions are good, say to make it faster and easier to navigate to recently open windows.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, February 22, 2010 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:47 AM

All replies

• About the taskbar jump lists: They are not the context menus that you are used to from previous versions, they are a whole new invention. There is no way that I know of to change where they appear.

About the window previews: Look here: <http://www.blogsdna.com/2056/how-to-enable-or-disable-taskbar-thumbnails-preview-in-windows-7.htm>
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Choose either Windows Classic theme or windows 7 basic from Personalization to disable Aero. You would then not have thumbnail previews for the taskbar but only text content.

Regarding to the position of menu, I agree with chrullrich that you need to form a new habit to get used to it. Microsoft's intentions are good, say to make it faster and easier to navigate to recently open windows.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, February 22, 2010 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:47 AM
  • hello,
    thanks for the tips.  aero is already disabled.  what i mean by the thumbnails is the flyouts that appear when u mouse over the task.  i find them distracting and hardly useful at all.  the thumbnails are too tiny to see what is going on.
    also, not trying to be rude, but i dont feel i need to get used to "new habits."  if i wanted a new system, i would be using a different OS.  if i wanted an interface that looked like a mac, i would get a mac.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:06 PM
  • The thumbnails are too small to be useful sometimes... but point to the thumbnail to get some real magic.
    If you want the context menu for the actual program, not the application's options (Jump List), you can hold Shift while you right-click.

PS.  I agree with your last point to.  I encourage you to always purchase the product that fits you best.  If that isn't Windows, that's fine.  Your wallet is the best voting booth in the world.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Based on my understanding, you want to open the jumplists to the side of screen instead of the top of taskbar, do you? Why not puting your taskbar to the side of screen?

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:49 AM