Print jobs failing clogging queues RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2016, fresh install
    Migrated print server from 2008 R2
    New-ish Canon business mutli function copiers

All print queues came across just fine during migration. Ever since we made the migration there has been 3 printers that keep getting jammed up (10x per day?). Here is what I know

• Seems to be mostly Windows 10 machines printing from Edge or PDF that cause the most problem
      If I clear the queue, wait a while, then have them print again, it will print just fine
    • We have about 30 print queues, the only ones with problems are the 3 that are rolled out by GPO
    • I have tried about 6 different drivers ranging from PS, PCL, UFRII various versions from latest to several years old
    • The print server is on the same subnet as the 3 printers failing. Curiously, the other 27 printers are across VPNs, not rolled out by GPO and not exhibiting the problems.
    • Mix of wireless and wired clients failing to print.
    • Cannot delete the print jobs from the UI once they get stuck. Have to stop the spooler service, go find the jobs in \System32... and delete them manually
    • I have tried deleting the printers, print queues, print drivers, GPOs and creating all new ones. Problems persist.
    • None of these problems existed in 2008 R2
    • Setting IE as the default printer and forcing PDFs to open in Acrobat has alleviated the symptoms somewhat, but this is not a sustainable solution.
    • Not sure what the ramifications of these two settings are, but set to default on Sharing tab we are "rendering print jobs on client computers" and on the Advanced tab we are "Spooling print documents and printing immediately".

Thoughts?

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that 3 printers keep getting jammed up after migrating print server from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2016.

Please make sure that your Windows Server 2016 has been fully patched with Windows Update/Hotfix, it is helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance.

>The print server is on the same subnet as the 3 printers failing. Curiously, the other 27 printers are across VPNs, not rolled out by GPO and not exhibiting the problems.
    If possible, please check/update local intermediary device firmware, such as router/switch. 

Besides, check Event Viewer on both server and client, if there is any event has been logged when problem happens. It would be helpful to have an further identification.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:39 AM