none
Deployment Toolkit and WDS RRS feed

• Question

• I have been a desktop admin for a while but only image PCs once a year, so please bear with my ignorance.

I understand the deployment workbench: here I can import stock OSs from a DVD, import captured WIM files, import drivers and create task sequences.

From the documentation I have seen, after updating the deployment share in the Workbench, you replace the boot image in the Windows Deployment Services console. Some documentation/YouTube videos mention the Install Images as being necessary to image a machine.

I just imported a stock Windows 10 OS (downloaded from the Volume Licensing Center) and created a task sequence. I updated my Deployment Share in the workbench, and replaced the boot image in the WDS console. I haven't done anything in the 'Install Images' portion of the WDS console. 

As you can see all that is present are an offline and online Windows 7 image. It has been a year since our last deployment cycle and I can't remember what all I did here.

I do know that I was able to PXE boot to the deployment server and select the Windows 10 task sequence and it installed just fine. 

What am I missing about the basics of (or the relationship between) WDS and the Workbench?

The below thread suggests that WDS service provides the PXE and WinPE functionality, along with the transport of the boot and OSs listed in the Workbench, and that WDS functions don't all need to be used.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fdc529f-81ce-43c5-bb69-ba28be63843f/use-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-with-windows-deployment-services?forum=itprovistadeployment

Thanks--

• Edited by Tom8080 Friday, April 1, 2016 12:49 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:24 PM

Answers

• First off, fyii... I'm still learning much on the topic. And I help admin at a small site but can offer this info from my (limited) experience 

• I only use WDS for boot images. If i change the MDT boot.ini or if I choose to "Completely rebuild boot image option" when i update the deployment share, i copy the x86 and x64 boot images created by MDT to WDS (on the RemoteInstall folder)
    • Other then PXE boot and boot image, everything else is managed by MDT (and stored on the Deployment Share)
    • All OS's are imported into the Operating Systems folder using MDT. An MDT Task sequence that installs an OS always point to an OS image saved on the Deployment share
    • A user menu that requires OS selection to deploy , always deploys an OS saved on the Deployment share

So, in short, I maintain the boot images under WDS. Anything else on WDS,  I assume is for legacy support

Friday, April 1, 2016 11:38 AM
  • You more-or-less have it correct.  The only use of WDS within MDT or SCCM is as a PXE service.  It's sole purpose is to push the boot images that are generated by MDT and nothing more.  If you were to use WDS to image, you would use the install images, but as you are using MDT, those can be ignored as can most of the other screens.
    • Marked as answer by Tom8080 Monday, April 4, 2016 12:20 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 2:29 PM

All replies

• First off, fyii... I'm still learning much on the topic. And I help admin at a small site but can offer this info from my (limited) experience 

• I only use WDS for boot images. If i change the MDT boot.ini or if I choose to "Completely rebuild boot image option" when i update the deployment share, i copy the x86 and x64 boot images created by MDT to WDS (on the RemoteInstall folder)
    • Other then PXE boot and boot image, everything else is managed by MDT (and stored on the Deployment Share)
    • All OS's are imported into the Operating Systems folder using MDT. An MDT Task sequence that installs an OS always point to an OS image saved on the Deployment share
    • A user menu that requires OS selection to deploy , always deploys an OS saved on the Deployment share

So, in short, I maintain the boot images under WDS. Anything else on WDS,  I assume is for legacy support

Friday, April 1, 2016 11:38 AM
  • You more-or-less have it correct.  The only use of WDS within MDT or SCCM is as a PXE service.  It's sole purpose is to push the boot images that are generated by MDT and nothing more.  If you were to use WDS to image, you would use the install images, but as you are using MDT, those can be ignored as can most of the other screens.
    • Marked as answer by Tom8080 Monday, April 4, 2016 12:20 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Thank you both for the reply. This information was helpful.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 12:20 PM