How to backup data from Virtual Machine in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there -

I've just upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional, installed the latest version of Virtual Machine, and installed Windows 98 (SE) as a Virtual Machine - all good and fine.

I've converted a number of Win98 legacy software files into a version I can use now - so far so good. Laborious, but done it.

The problem is how to back these data files up - burn to CD or USB - as Windows Exporer in Windows 98 on Virtual Machine does not appear to give that option - there's no sign of USB ports, and it does not recognise a blank CDR in the D drive:

Could anyone please advise how I can transfer data files from the Win 98 virtual machine to a back up media, or some other way I can then put them in Windows 7 Professional to be backed up, please?

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

Try looking in AppData.  In search bar Type  Folder options  hit enter - View - Show hidden files, folders or drives

Now from Disk mangement - Action - Attach VHD - browse to

C:\Users - Your name User -Appdata - Local - Microsoft - Windows Virtual PC - Virtual Machines

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:10 PM
  • With supported OSes, you can simply use Windows VPC's shared folders for data transfer.  (Win98 isn't though)

Also, you should be able to just use standard Windows network shares for copying/moving data between the VM and the host.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:06 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please attach the W98 virtual harddisk by doing the following,

In the search bar type   Computer Management    hit enter.  

Disk Management - go to action tab at top of page - Attach VHD - browse to the

Virtual Machine\Virtual W98 folder - highlight the file - open - ok

Your W98 harddisk will be highlighted in a blue colour - right click the partition to explore files and back up data.

If the the harddisk has not been given a drive letter, right click partition - change drive letter.

When you have backed up your data. To use in Virtual PC.

You will have to right click the front of the disk to Detach VHD 

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, January 24, 2011 2:21 PM
    • Edited by artiste1 Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:17 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply - I can get into Computer Management fine.

There was no partition created for Win 98, and while it appears in disk management as a 64 MB space, right click simply brings up the option "Help". there does not appear the ability to change drive letter.

And when I use options to try and attach the VHD, there is nothing showing in my Virtual Machines folder on the C: drive.

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Try looking in AppData.  In search bar Type  Folder options  hit enter - View - Show hidden files, folders or drives

Now from Disk mangement - Action - Attach VHD - browse to

C:\Users - Your name User -Appdata - Local - Microsoft - Windows Virtual PC - Virtual Machines

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Many many thanks for the help, artiste1 - that looks like it. :)

Was worried for a moment Microsoft had allowed Virtual Machines to be created but with no data transfer options. :)

Anyway, now am on my way to converting all my legacy MIDI compositions - need a few more things in place, but getting there step by step.

Again, many thanks for the help - very much appreciated. :)

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:58 PM
  • With supported OSes, you can simply use Windows VPC's shared folders for data transfer.  (Win98 isn't though)

Also, you should be able to just use standard Windows network shares for copying/moving data between the VM and the host.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:06 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:53 PM
  • If backup is your goal, why not just make a copy of the .vhd?  I drag and drop the .vhd file from my work hard drive to an external hard drive.  I have backup .vhd files on external drives to secure not only my data but the whole system.  A lot of work goes into setting up a vm just like it does any other computer. 
    Colin Barnhorst
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:22 PM