WSS 2.0 discovery problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After importing the WSS 2.0 MP, i can't see any DB or Web Site Components under WSS monitoring pane.
    IIS & SQL MP's are both imported and i can see the web sites and DB's in the MP view of each MP.
    My WSS + Web site are located on the same server and the DB is another server.

i noticed that the "WSS Database Instances Group" and the "WSS Web Site Instance Group" are empty, the only component that we monitoring now is the WSS application (service).

i configured that run as account to use the user account that is used for the Identity of the Application Pool.

any idea?

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:44 PM

Answers

• Since WSS uses the db, and the account you are using is the one the app pool account uses, you should have permissions.  The one thing you do have to make sure is true - that the account you are using has the SharePoint Services Administration priveleges permission applied.  By default, sharepoint will set up the app pool with admin creds, but if someone changed that to be a different account, you may be failing to discover because you don't have administrative privs set.

The other thing to do is assume that you have permissions set correctly.  Now start _normal discovery diagnosis procedures_ - look in the event logs (Operations Manager log) on both the agent and RMS shortly after restarting the health service on the sharepoint server.  Look for error messages.

If hte script is failing due to permissions issues, you will see a log entry on the agent.  If there are no error reports in the log for the discovery, it is probably working correctly.  Then look in the RMS role log - this will possibly contain an error report talking about rejecting the discovery.  If you see either, post them here and we can look further at the causes.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, October 22, 2010 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:57 PM

All replies

• Have you read the guide and done any necessary configuratoin steps?
    Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Hi Dan,

the guide do not have any step by step instruction, the only thing that i found is related to "security considerations for WSS MP" this section instruct you to configure a run as account that will use the user account that used by the application pool identity.

and i've done it already.

this guide is very poor and does not contain much.

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:41 PM
  •  

Hi,

In the document, we can see:

Objects Discovered by the Windows SharePoint Services Management Pack

Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2003 Local Application

Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2003 Computer Group

Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2003 Timer Service

In addition, please also see the section “Relationships between Windows SharePoint Services components, databases, and Web sites are not discovered”.

Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 (2003) Management Pack for OpsMgr 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3C6C7A37-82CB-46C4-A300-902D184C9D96

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the reply,

as i wrote earlier, this is exactly what i've done.

"To configure the "Populate Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2003 Server Role Discovery Rule" Object Discovery with the appropriate level of privileges the Run As Profile named "WSS Action Account" for each WSS server must be configured with a Run As Account that has both Windows SharePoint Services administrative privileges and access to the related WSS databases and API. Using the user account that is used for the Identity of the Application Pool, which is used by the Windows SharePoint Services Administration Web site, is recommended."

i've create a user account in "run as configuration" for SPS admin account "Using the user account that is used for the Identity of the Application Pool" and added this account to the WSS Action Account" profile, next i targeted the run as account to the computer object where sharepoint is installed.

do i need to add the DB server as well ?

Kobi

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Since WSS uses the db, and the account you are using is the one the app pool account uses, you should have permissions.  The one thing you do have to make sure is true - that the account you are using has the SharePoint Services Administration priveleges permission applied.  By default, sharepoint will set up the app pool with admin creds, but if someone changed that to be a different account, you may be failing to discover because you don't have administrative privs set.

The other thing to do is assume that you have permissions set correctly.  Now start _normal discovery diagnosis procedures_ - look in the event logs (Operations Manager log) on both the agent and RMS shortly after restarting the health service on the sharepoint server.  Look for error messages.

If hte script is failing due to permissions issues, you will see a log entry on the agent.  If there are no error reports in the log for the discovery, it is probably working correctly.  Then look in the RMS role log - this will possibly contain an error report talking about rejecting the discovery.  If you see either, post them here and we can look further at the causes.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, October 22, 2010 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:57 PM