Feature Request: Windows Photo Gallery should support "AND" searches on tags RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have all of my photos tagged with "Person A", "Person B", etc. to describe who is in what photos. CTRL-clicking on multiple tags does an "OR" search. So in the view of the list of photos, it shows me a list of the photos tagged "Person A", then a list of photos with "Person B" below that.

To me that isn't all that useful. If I wanted to do that, I would click on "Person A", look around, then click on "Person B", and look around there. What I want is to find all the photos that are tagged with BOTH "Person A" and "Person B".

I tried to work around this with search folders from Windows explorer directly. This also didn't work, however. The problem there is that I also have a tag named "Person A's Family". So when I did an AND search for tag("Person A") and tag("Person B"), the first part of the check also included photos with just the tag of "Person A's Family". So I still don't have a simple means of finding all my photos with "Person A" and "Person B" in them.

So I think a simple way inside of Photo Gallery to do that AND search would be helpful. The CTRL-clicking could do it. Add the intersection of all the tags at the top of the view, then (for backward compatibility) list photos as the old CTRL-clicking would have worked.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hear, hear!  I wholeheartedly agree.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:50 PM
  • TFADM

If I am understanding correctly, it sounds like the problem is with the 'Grouping' rather than the 'Search'.

On the left side of the Search Box, click the 'Thumbnail View' drop down menu. Expand the 'Group By' flyout menu and select 'None' in that list.

You can also select an option in the 'Sort By' flyout menu, such as, 'Date Taken'.

Next, use the CTRL+CLICK method on the 'Tags List' to see all of the photos in one group sorted by date taken.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 9:33 PM
  • No, that doesn't work. That still does an "OR" search between the tags clicked on. I want the "AND" search.

For example (using the sample photos shipped with Vista):

- The tag "Ocean" contains "Green Sea Turtle.jpg" and "Dock.jpg" (and others).

- The tag "Wildlife" contains "Green Sea Turtle.jpg" and "Oryx Antelope.jpg" (and others).

- When I CTRL-Click on "Ocean" and "Wildlife", I see "Green Sea Turtle.jpg", "Dock.jpg", and "Oryx Antelope.jpg" (and others). This is "OR" searching, or the union of the two tag groups.

With "AND" searching, I want the intersection of the two tag groups. I want a view where I can see JUST "Green Sea Turtle.jpg" and NOT "Dock.jpg" and NOT "Oryx Antelope.jpg".

All I want to do is find only pictures with me AND my wife in them. Smile

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:34 PM
  •  TFADM wrote:

No, that doesn't work. That still does an "OR" search between the tags clicked on. I want the "AND" search.

For example (using the sample photos shipped with Vista):

- The tag "Ocean" contains "Green Sea Turtle.jpg" and "Dock.jpg" (and others).

- The tag "Wildlife" contains "Green Sea Turtle.jpg" and "Oryx Antelope.jpg" (and others).

- When I CTRL-Click on "Ocean" and "Wildlife", I see "Green Sea Turtle.jpg", "Dock.jpg", and "Oryx Antelope.jpg" (and others). This is "OR" searching, or the union of the two tag groups.

This is not a good example, because 'most' of those sample pictures all share a common Tag (eg: the  'Sample' tag ). Look in the 'Info Pane' when you select a picture to see the current tags.

With "AND" searching, I want the intersection of the two tag groups. I want a view where I can see JUST "Green Sea Turtle.jpg" and NOT "Dock.jpg" and NOT "Oryx Antelope.jpg".

To do this, you would need to 'remove' the current, shared  tags from Green Sea Turtle.jpg and give it another 'unique' tag.

I just tested this, adding the tag, Person A to 4 pictures and Person B to 4 other pictures. These pictures did not have any previous tags. If I use the CTRL method and select Person A and Person B, it only shows those 8 pictures.

All I want to do is find only pictures with me AND my wife in them.

Try removing all of the current tags for those pictures and giving them uniquely named tags, such as your Wife's first name and Your first name and then perform CTRL+CLICK on the tags..

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:56 AM
  • But this is not what I am asking for in the feature request. I know that I can go through all of my pictures tagged with my name and find all the pictures that have her tag and add a NEW tag for both of us. That's easy, but pointless and tedious for hundreds or thousands of photos. AND the data I want is already there!

Picture1.jpg has "Person A" AND "Person B" both tagged on it. Why should it be so hard to search for all photos (like that one) that have BOTH of those tags for it?

I only used the sample photos one as an example because it is concrete and everyone has that on their machine. So why can't I look for ocean wildlife by searching my "Ocean" AND "Wildlife" tags? Why is the correct answer to add a new tag "Ocean Wildlife"?

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:30 AM
  • Well said

Tag1 AND Tag2
    Tag3 AND NOT Tag4
    Tag5 AND (Tag6 AND NOT Tag7)...

are required

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:43 AM
  • I came across this discussion thread having just bought a new computer with Vista; I've just started tagging my hundreds (thousands?) of photos. Like the original poster, I fully expected that selecting two tags would show me the intersection, rather than the union, of the sets of pictures bearing the two tags. I'm quite disappointed to see that this is not the case and agree that the current functionality is not particularly useful. I just tagged all the pictures that have my daughter in them with her name, all those with me in them with my name, and would really like a way to use those tags to show ONLY those pictures that have both of us, without having to re-tag those with a third, unique tag. Has this not been addressed? Will it be addressed in Windows 7?

The suggestion immediately above (a flexible Boolean search) would be ideal, but I'd settle just for the "AND" option.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:05 AM
  • I got here looking for the same information.  Then after more searching, I found out that I can do searches with tags with AND or OR

OR searches, using control-click on the tags on left of windows photo gallery, I think we have all figured out that one.

AND searches, use the search box on the top of the windows photo gallery and type in the tags you are searching for.  For example, I type in the year tag (2000) and name (bill) with just a space between and it works as an and search, I get all of the pictures that have both bill and 2000 tags. I  have done this for more than two tags, for example, I Put in all three of my children's names and only pictures with all three of them appear. 

Good Luck.

CJ

Friday, October 23, 2009 12:45 AM
  • I got here looking for the same information.  Then after more searching, I found out that I can do searches with tags with AND or OR

OR searches, using control-click on the tags on left of windows photo gallery, I think we have all figured out that one.

AND searches, use the search box on the top of the windows photo gallery and type in the tags you are searching for.  For example, I type in the year tag (2000) and name (bill) with just a space between and it works as an and search, I get all of the pictures that have both bill and 2000 tags. I  have done this for more than two tags, for example, I Put in all three of my children's names and only pictures with all three of them appear. 

Good Luck.

CJ

Sloarflyer,

Bless you - will stop pulling hair now.

Irv, Vancouver, USA

Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:18 PM