Exchange 2016 running on Windows Server 2016 - Version 1607 (LTSB) RRS feed

• Question

• I need to stand up a virtual machine that will run Exchange Server 2016 (Standard version of Exchange 2016). I'd like to use Windows Server 2016 Standard and run Version 1607 since it's LTSB, which means I can just get the security\critical updates until 1/11/2027 (basing my information on the article below). I'm curious if people running Exchange 2016 on Windows Server 2016 are using LTSB as well, to avoid patch headaches on their Enterprise servers? I'm actually considering Windows server 2016 1607 (LTSB) on any server going forward. I can't imagine running my AD\SQL\Skype applications on a non-LTSB version of server 2016.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

Jason

Thursday, December 20, 2018 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

There is no official article clarifying if you can deploy Exchange server in LTSB version. However, you can refer to the article below to see the key differences between Long-Term Servicing Channel and Semi-Annual Channel. According to the description, Exchange server is "Containerized applications, container hosts, and application scenarios benefiting from faster innovation". Therefore, it is recommended to deploy Exchange server in regular version of Windows server.

Should you keep servers on the LTSC or move them to the Semi-Annual Channel?

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:38 PM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

There is no official article clarifying if you can deploy Exchange server in LTSB version. However, you can refer to the article below to see the key differences between Long-Term Servicing Channel and Semi-Annual Channel. According to the description, Exchange server is "Containerized applications, container hosts, and application scenarios benefiting from faster innovation". Therefore, it is recommended to deploy Exchange server in regular version of Windows server.

Should you keep servers on the LTSC or move them to the Semi-Annual Channel?

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:38 PM
    Friday, December 21, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Thank you for the response. For LTSB\LTSC it also suggests it for "traditional apps" and if you need "stability and predictability". It seems like Exchange falls into that. I am out on holiday and will pick this back up in the new year.

Jason

Friday, December 21, 2018 5:33 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Well, what I am thinking is that Exchange keeps releasing new update so it might require the server early accesses to the newest Windows Server features. However, as I did not encounter such situation before, I can not refer to similar cases about potential issues. 

Have a nice holiday.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:39 AM