none
Excel Web Access: No Excel Calculation Services is available in the farm, Unable to reach Excel Calculation Services, There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services.

Question

• Excel services has stopped working on any SharePoint site, it used to work perfectly, now it's not rendering anywhere on the pages (farm wide). The following are the error messages being thrown on any report page or Excel Web Access webpart:

"An error has occurred.
    Please contact your system administrator if this problem persists. "

and the following are the (3) of the errors shown in the Event Viewer logs: 

-------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category: Excel Services Web Front End
    Event ID: 5231
    Date:  7/24/2008
    Time:  4:58:59 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: <ServerName>
    Description:
    Unable to reach Excel Calculation Services http://<ServerName>:56737/SharedServices1/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx.
    [Session: (null)
    User: <DomainName>\<UserName>]
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    -------
    Event ID: 5239
    Computer: <ServerName>
    Description:
    There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services http://<ServerName>:56737/SharedServices1/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx exception: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
    [Session: (null)
    User: <DomainName>\<UserName>]
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    -------
    Event ID: 5234
    Computer: <SeverName>
    Description:
    No Excel Calculation Services is available in the farm.[User <DomainName>\<UserName>]
    -------

Can anyone please advise?
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:58 AM

Answers

• ok, i don't know if this case applies to all, but it just resolved my issue. I'm using Windows Authentication - NTLM, and here's what resolved my issue:

A. SSP app pool account must have the requirements below... (1 & 2)
    B. SSP credentials account used is the same or at least same requirements below... (1 & 2)

1. Domain Account.
    2. Member of administrators group on WFE.
    3. Member of SQL security administrator & DB creator on DB (WBE). (Optional, explanation below)

- additionally i would mention more about this account, that initially i planned to use it as: 
    Server farm account
    Purpose: This account is also referred to as:
    ·         Database access account.
    ·         The application pool account for the Central Administration site.
    ·         The process account for the Windows SharePoint Services Timer (SPAdmin) service.
            Scope: Farm.
            Used by: Central administration site application pool identity.
    • Marked as answer by v jonian Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:25 AM
    • Edited by v jonian Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:24 AM addition
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:25 AM

All replies

• ok, i don't know if this case applies to all, but it just resolved my issue. I'm using Windows Authentication - NTLM, and here's what resolved my issue:

A. SSP app pool account must have the requirements below... (1 & 2)
    B. SSP credentials account used is the same or at least same requirements below... (1 & 2)

1. Domain Account.
    2. Member of administrators group on WFE.
    3. Member of SQL security administrator & DB creator on DB (WBE). (Optional, explanation below)

- additionally i would mention more about this account, that initially i planned to use it as: 
    Server farm account
    Purpose: This account is also referred to as:
    ·         Database access account.
    ·         The application pool account for the Central Administration site.
    ·         The process account for the Windows SharePoint Services Timer (SPAdmin) service.
            Scope: Farm.
            Used by: Central administration site application pool identity.
    • Marked as answer by v jonian Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:25 AM
    • Edited by v jonian Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:24 AM addition
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:25 AM
  • I believe this belonngs in this area best described. So far have tried several "answers/fixes" and so far none have worked.

Event code 5231, 5234, 5239

I am having several issues but I believe a few stem from a main issue. We have a SharePoint Portal set up and we decided to put Excel Web access on one of our pages as a web App. We have to do a few things(such as trusted site library and such) but we eventually got it up and running with no problems. Suddenly it would no longer show up. In its place i was getting and error "An error has occurred. Please contact your system administrator if the problem persists." So I did some checking and within the event viewer I see: "there was an error in communicating with excel calculation services  http status 503". I am also getting "No Excel Calculation Services is available in the farm." (which I think is steming from the previously stated issue) The document we are trying to show within our web app is very important to daily operations. If they can't see it from the page it could cause several slow downs and issues. I have check and the farm says that the services for Excel Calculation Services are started. Any Help here would be useful. I have check and the farm says that the services for Excel Calculation Services are started.

Blaine S.
    Network Admin
    • Edited by BlaineS Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:05 PM found event codes
    • Proposed as answer by whadden Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:02 PM
  • I was having this same issue this morning.  After scowling the web for solutions, and looking into many possible solutions, I finally realized the SSP app pool was stopped.  So, you may wish to double check that before digging too far.

Regards,
    -Bill
    • Proposed as answer by whadden Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Same for me. Apparently, the cause has nothing to do with EWA, but a problem in my configuration of the search which causes the SSP to stop.

Good hint!
    Monday, April 06, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Hi v jonian

Thanks a lot

Monday, April 05, 2010 4:43 AM
  • You welcome M. Amir! Glad that this thread still being helpful.
    V Jonian
    Monday, April 05, 2010 10:37 PM
  • I was having this same issue this morning.  After scowling the web for solutions, and looking into many possible solutions, I finally realized the SSP app pool was stopped.  So, you may wish to double check that before digging too far.

Regards,
    -Bill

Yes, I have resolved my problem with this method, i think i typed wrong pwd. :(
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Hi Jonjan

i think you installed some sharepoint add on to server and it change your Web.config anyway

find proxy autoDetect=”true” in Web.config and change it to "false" as follow:

<system.net>
        <defaultProxy>
          <proxy autoDetect="False" />
        </defaultProxy>
      </system.net>

Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Hello All,

I had the issue where it was logged in Event Viewer, that "Excel calcualation service was not available in the farm".

For me the service was stopped so I started 'Excel Calculation Services' under;

Central Administration --> Services on Server

This should be the first place to check (addresses the third event entry listed). If you chose to use 'Impersonation' in 'Excel Services Settings', ensure that the credentials are correct (the first event entry listed suggests an issue with the user credentials). Lastly, check IIS/associated app pool to ensure there are no issues i.e. pool stopped etc (the second event entry listed suggest there's an issue there hence the 503 error).

I hope anyone finds the above usefu! 

Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:46 PM