DVD Maker not recognising drives RRS feed

• Question

• Seems there are a lot of people reporting issues of their DVD drives not showing up in Windows DVD Maker for burning.  The drop down listbox is empty.

Vista can see it fine and so can other burning software such as Nero.

Is MS aware of this bug or is there a compatibility list somwhere?

My Drive is LG GSA-H24L - with latest firmware

Thanks

-KENT

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:33 PM

Answers

• Thought it was only DVD Maker but then I found similar problem with Media Player burns.  It didn't appear as an option in the list of drives and said "connect a burner and restart the player"

I looked a bit harder and found an article that mentioned a particular bios setting change so I gave it a go and it fixed it.

I have a Gigabye bios and the setting is on the <Integrated Peripherals> screen.  The setting is <Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode> and I set it to 'RAID/IDE'. (Sets the SATA channel to RAID mode and IDE channel to IDE mode), when it booted, it detected some new devices, installed them automatically and away she went.

This was not a setting I changed, the default mode is IDE which is what I had and seems more logical to me.

Although I use SATA for my single HDD in IDE mode and IDE for my burner, I have no intention to use RAID on SATA.  I didn't think my disk would boot since I didn't install the RAID drivers on my disk but it did.  I did a bit of reading and I believe this setting is only for the Gigabyte SATA controller.  My board has 2 other Intel SATA controllers on it and my HDD is connected to the first on of these.  But for some strange reason, the gigabyte SATA controller being set to IDE mode seemed to do something wierd to the IDE controller and Vista.  It still worked fine, I could burn with Nero and Nero Infotool could ID all the features of the drive without any problem.

I'd recommend anyone has this problem with other motherboards to update your bios to the latest level and see if you have similar configuration for your SATA/IDE controllers.

Anyway, glad to get this one fixed, it's chewed up a lot of time.

-KENT

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:08 PM

All replies

• I am experiencing the exact same problem. DVD Maker isn't recognizing any of the two DVD Writers I have installed in my system. It is frustrating cuz I can't use DVD Maker because of this. I hope there is a solution to this.

Thanks,
    Matthew
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Only DVD maker is not recognizing or entire OS?
    Friday, May 25, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Only DVD Maker is not recognizing the drives (Nero and Vista see the drives just fine). =(  When in the DVD Maker program the drop down menu (in the upper right) to select the DVD Writer drive to use for the burn is completely empty. It will allow you to put together your project, though, but once you want to actually burn it it gives the following message:

A DVD burner was not found. Make sure a DVD burner is connected and installed, then try again.

I've also searched for solutions on the net to no avail and have come across a number of others experiencing the same thing. Please help. Thanks.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 11:54 AM
  • Thought it was only DVD Maker but then I found similar problem with Media Player burns.  It didn't appear as an option in the list of drives and said "connect a burner and restart the player"

I looked a bit harder and found an article that mentioned a particular bios setting change so I gave it a go and it fixed it.

I have a Gigabye bios and the setting is on the <Integrated Peripherals> screen.  The setting is <Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode> and I set it to 'RAID/IDE'. (Sets the SATA channel to RAID mode and IDE channel to IDE mode), when it booted, it detected some new devices, installed them automatically and away she went.

This was not a setting I changed, the default mode is IDE which is what I had and seems more logical to me.

Although I use SATA for my single HDD in IDE mode and IDE for my burner, I have no intention to use RAID on SATA.  I didn't think my disk would boot since I didn't install the RAID drivers on my disk but it did.  I did a bit of reading and I believe this setting is only for the Gigabyte SATA controller.  My board has 2 other Intel SATA controllers on it and my HDD is connected to the first on of these.  But for some strange reason, the gigabyte SATA controller being set to IDE mode seemed to do something wierd to the IDE controller and Vista.  It still worked fine, I could burn with Nero and Nero Infotool could ID all the features of the drive without any problem.

I'd recommend anyone has this problem with other motherboards to update your bios to the latest level and see if you have similar configuration for your SATA/IDE controllers.

Anyway, glad to get this one fixed, it's chewed up a lot of time.

-KENT

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:08 PM
  • Hello,

I experience the same issue as above and your proposed solution doesn't work for me.

My system description:

MB: ASUS P5K64 WS (Chipset: iP35/ICH9R)

CPU: Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

Memory: 1xDDR3 2GB (Patriot)

HDD: 4xWD5000ABYS 500GB configured as RAID 1+0

DVD burner: Lite-on 20A1H (claimed to be Vista compatible...)

Problem:

My DVD burner is not detected when using Windows DVD Maker or Windows Media Player. It DOES work with Nero 7 Essential (unfortunately by some reason Nero can't import AVIs and MPGs created with Pinnacle 11 Studio or Windows Movie Maker...) and Sony Picture Motion Browser (can't edit DVD menus with this software...). Windows Explorer CAN read CDs and DVDs from the Lite-on DVD burner. So it really seems to be a problem related to Microsoft software, isn't it?

ça va sans dire: all my software is original, genuine and authenticated / registered Smile

Explored solutions:

- upgrading the BIOS did not help

- updgrading ALL drivers (DVD burner, MB, ...) did not help

Obviously, I can't remove RAID drivers if I'm using RAID (as proposed by some other posts on the net)...

There are many posts on the internet about this issue and everyone is proposing a different solution which worked for him/her but doesn't seem to work for everybody.

Thank you for any suggestions on how to solve this issue - I'm lost and the Microsoft Online Help also could not help (honestly... they did not even try and told me to buy a MS Vista endorsed DVD burner from a Microsoft Trusted Shop).

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Windows DVD Maker:  ran fine for about a week, then problems started.

1.  Most times does not acknowledg the "E" drive where the burner is.

2.  When it does recognize it, it allows me to go thru all the steps of creating a DVD, then when I hit "burn", DVD Maker freezes with the error message... DVD Maker is not responding.

3.  Sometimes it gives the appearance of working fine, thru 100 % complete, but when playing back, the DVD will not load (like it's corrupt).

The cause?

Gateway wants me to do a system recovery so DVD Maker gets reinstalled.  That's a lot of work.

The Geek Squad at Best Buy said the problem lies in my "registry".

Earlier posts have other possible reasons.

Some recommend using Roxio or Nero.  That's not the point is it.  DVD Maker should be working as advertised.

I see this problem has been around since May 2007.

So... this is a Windows bug and Windows has to provide a patch.  Are they aware of this problem?  They must be. 

Anybody talk to a Microsoft tech in chat mode?  Is that an option?

In the meantime...  any new options would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Tom

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:01 AM
  • This may be related to your problems....

Vista cannot read a blank disk, no AutoPlay option, no Format available

I have had this problem on 4 machines that I built using Windows Vista, based on Gigabyte motherboards (1 GA-P35C-DS3R, 3 GA-P35-DS3R.)  The problem on my machines turned out to be a bad driver written by a company named JMicron (jmicron.com) and supplied with the motherboards by Gigabyte.  I do not know if the bad JMicron driver ships with other Gigabyte motherboards as well, but I suspect so.  It is possible that JMicron supplies drivers to other motherboard manufacturers.  I don’t know what the effect of this driver is on Windows XP systems.

The Symptoms:

1)      Inserting a blank CDR (or CDRW) or DVDR (or DVD +/- RW) does not bring up AutoPlay dialog.

2)      Attempting to use the disk in windows explorer generates the error “Windows cannot read the disc in drive X. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes.  If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it."

3)      In Device Manager, under DVD/CD-ROM drives, the CD/DVD device says it is “SCSI”, even though it is not a SCSI device.  It should say “ATA”.

4)      In Device Manager under Storage Controllers there is a device named “Gigabyte GBB36X Controller.”

The Issue:

JMicron supplied a device driver to Gigabyte that has something to do with support for PATA drives.  They based it off a SCSI device driver, but failed to fully re-write it for PATA. The device driver reports to windows that the device is a SCSI device, and hands other bad data to Vista.  Because of the bad data supplied by the faulty device driver, Vista fails to identify that there are valid CD/DVD PATA device(s).

The Solution:

Go to Control Panel/Device Manager.  Click on “Storage controllers”.  Double-click on the “Gigabyte GBB36X Controller.”  Select “Roll Back Driver”, and Yes/OK any dialogs asking to confirm.  Afterwards the “Gigabyte GBB36X Controller” will be gone.  Check under DVD/CD-Rom drives.  The device(s) should now show up as ATA, not SCSI.  The device should now work properly.

Note: On two machines I did not reboot after doing this and subsequently had a blue-screen crash (after which everything was fine.)  On the other two machines I did a reboot after rolling back the device and had no crash.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working with Gigabyte to correct the problem.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:53 PM
  •  

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:54 PM
  • This worked in my case:

- find the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Currentcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

- Remove the keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters (backup first!)

- Restart the computer and allow re-installation of the drive if necessary

This is however a solution that probably will only help a minority of people. By posting this issues on a number of websites I got at least 10 different answers. By the way, the one about the J-Micron driver is the most posted. Thanks, but since I have an ASUS board it does not apply to me and to many others.

It seems to me that many of the software coming with Vista has serious compatibility issue with older components or applications (e.g. MediaPlayer with DivX, Windows Defender with Norman AV, RAID devices) and this is mostly due to multiple issues at different levels - that's why most solutions don't help. That's why I believe that the problem is NOT the previous application but the NEW Vista software. Any service packs planned? Smile

I contacted Microsoft online help many times about various issues and it is pretty clear to me that most of the people in the Help Team have aboslutely NO CLUE how to solve most of the issues although they try hard to help you on the phone. They are also very weak in following up (some of my requests are pending since September with nobody even trying to support me).

I'm a corporate client and I can only imagine how hard it must be for regular clients to get help from MS.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:44 PM
  • I just fixed this. 

I have vista utimate, and the above mentioned Gigabyte board.

I tried a combination of the above steps and adjust bios( rollback gigabyte gbbxx336 thingy contoller, vista just updates it again )  but I don't think they helped after change/reboot/change/reboot...

I did leave my bios to :  Raid/IDE mode,  but enabled AHCI in some setting a little higher.

MY SOLUTION,  and I believe what it is that fixed  for me was to simply move

my dvd drive ( pioneer dvr 212d )  to one of the non raid sata( non-purple on the gigabyte board ) ports.

It is stated above that there was an issue with the controller and that it's known.

So,  I think that controller with the 'known issues'  is in charge of the raid ports, but NOT the normal sata ports on board.  (they're orange on my board).

anyways, after I did this,  VOILA.

I was puzzled because:

1) this drive worked with other software

2) I just upgraded this drive ( old drive was EIDE ), so I had just used it a few days prior.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:09 AM
  • I had the same problem with the DVD drive letter not showing up under DVD Maker, and I fought with everything I could to get it to work. I have 3 SATA drives configured as raid 5, and the DVD burner all by it's self on the PATA. I have an Asus P5K-E motherboard and had the controler for the DVD set to IDE. The DVD drive worked in vista, but was not recognised in DVD Maker. I changed the BIOS for the PATA controller to raid and re started. It took 3 restarts and seperatly running the raid installation software downloaded from ASUS's website to even get Vista to recognise the DVD drive, but when it finally showed up in Vista now, the DVD drive also showed up in DVD Maker. I had noticed that in device manager the DVD (Samsung SH-S202N) originally identified the drive as SCSI, but after getting it to work under the raid, it shows up as ATA. It seems like there is a SCSI va ATA issue at hand.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:53 PM
  •  

Finally got this resolved (I have the same Asus P5K-E board). The issue is entirely caused by (lousy) JMicron driver.

http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm

http://www.jmicron.com/Support_FAQ.html

To resolve this:

1. Go to "device manager"

2. Expand the "storage controllers" node

3. Right click on "JMicron JMB36x" device and select "update driver software"

4. Select "browse my computer for driver software"

5. Select "let me pick from a list..."

6. Select "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"

7. Commit the changes and restart your Vista

8. Voila!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:30 AM
  • I agree that JMicron (lousy) driver is the issue in MANY cases. Unfortunately, there are stil a few (unlucky) people who - like me - have already uninstalled the JMicron driver (or who never had it installed) and still cannot solve the issue. I was probably lucky by solving it the way I described above. I think it is disappointing that neither ASUS nor Microsoft nor Lite-on seem to have a clue about the issue, but is even more disappointing that I got NO answer from them in many weeks...

Interestingly, I met a guy from ASUS at a congress recently who confirmed they know about the issue but they do not foresee making any adjustement to the BIOS firmware (which is apparently causing at least part of the issue) because this will cause drives from more important producers (!!!) to malfunction. I guess the guys from Lite-on would not be happy to hear this...

Monday, March 3, 2008 6:26 PM
  • They seem to have fixed this problem with Vista SP1 as my drive, even though classed as SCSI as its on a RAID card, is now recognised...
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:40 PM
  • Thanks worked well and first time.

Have been able to help lots of windows users.

p.s. works with xp as well as vista

Bill

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:27 AM
  • My problem is when I try to download video files.  It does not move from 0.0.  I do have another dvd creator on my computer..

Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:07 AM
  • I fixed this problem on my Windows 7 PC by unplugging my Mobile Broadband modem. So annoying! But true
    • Proposed as answer by Stephanie829 Friday, January 6, 2012 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:00 AM
  • registradus you are the MAN!!!!. It worked straight away by unplugging the USM broadband modem from my laptop. Within seconds it recognised E:
    Friday, October 1, 2010 2:38 AM
  • Hi I got the same problems the program can't find the burner grrr
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Another pathetic failure by microsoft, who managed to be the only software provider in the universe that can't find ANY OF THE DVD PLAYERS ON MY SYSTEM.  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE FINDS ALL MY DRIVES.  GET YOUR FREAKING HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND PROVIDE A USEFUL WORKING SOLUTION FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS OR YOUR ASSES WILL EITHER BE OUT OF WORK OR WORKING FOR GOOGLE.

• Proposed as answer by Stephanie829 Friday, January 6, 2012 9:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stephanie829 Friday, January 6, 2012 9:23 PM
    Friday, December 9, 2011 8:27 PM
  • This worked.  Crazy but it did the trick.  As soon as I unplugged my mobile broadband device, it worked.

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:27 PM