Creation date wrong for snapshots on VMs imported to Hyper-V 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2008 R2 with latest patches (SP1 beta is NOT installed)

Windows Server 2008 SP2 with latest patches

CreationTimes for snapshots of virtual machines that were originally created on the same server are correct.

CreationTimes for snapshots of virtual machines that have been exported/imported between 2008 SP2 virtual hosts are correct.

But CreationsTimes for snapshots of virtuals that have been exported and imported onto 2008 R2 virtual hosts are incorrect.

Test1.  VM1 created on 2008 SP2 host.  Snapshot S1 taken.  Export.  Imported onto 2008 R2 host.  Snapshot S2 taken.  On the 2008 SP2 host, snapshot S1 shows the correct CreationTime.  On the 2008 R2 host, however, snapshot S1 shows a CreationTime of 12/31/1600 6:00:00 PM.  Snapshot S2 (and all other snapshots subsequent to the import) has a CreationTime that matches the virtual machine, not the snapshot.

Test2.  VM2 created on 2008 R2 host.  Snapshot S3 taken.  Export.  Import as copy on same 2008 R2 host.  Snapshot S4 taken.  Snapshot S3 shows the correct CreationTime.  Snapshot S4 (and all other snapshots subsequent to the import) has a CreationTime that matches the virtual machine, not the snapshot.

Any ideas as to what may be wrong and how to fix it?  If this is a known bug, is R2 SP1 expected to address it?

Thanks,

Tim C

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, I can reproduce the issue on my Hyper-V computer.

By the way, our product team is aware of it.

Cause of the issue: For CreationTime property we rely on configuration file creation time until someone calls SetCreationTime() on configuration. Once SetCreationTime is called, we add a property, "creation_time", to config xml file and subsequent GetCreationTime() call will get its value from this property. While taking snapshot we do not call SetCreationTime() and hence, after import, the newly created snapshots also get incorrect creation time.

Here is the workaround:

Removing the creation_time data from the vm's configuration file.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, I can reproduce the issue on my Hyper-V computer.

By the way, our product team is aware of it.

Cause of the issue: For CreationTime property we rely on configuration file creation time until someone calls SetCreationTime() on configuration. Once SetCreationTime is called, we add a property, "creation_time", to config xml file and subsequent GetCreationTime() call will get its value from this property. While taking snapshot we do not call SetCreationTime() and hence, after import, the newly created snapshots also get incorrect creation time.

Here is the workaround:

Removing the creation_time data from the vm's configuration file.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:46 AM
  • I have the same bug with Hyper-V SP1. Are you going to fix it?
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:30 PM
  • How do you remove the creation_time data from the VM?

Is that something set from the Hyper-V program or editing a file on disk?

Luke Chung
    Microsoft MVP
    President of FMS, Inc.
    Blog Facebook Twitter

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:41 PM