issues in using Windows Media Encoder 9 Series on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using wmencoderlib in my application to convert the media files, it works well with Windows XP. But the same application does not work on Windows Vista and Windows 7. It throws error at creating an instance of the WMEncoder() and application crashesh.

Please let me know if there is any fix available for this issue on both the OS.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What is the exact error message or symptom? How did you install windows 7, by an upgrade or fresh install?

Are you running any other Media decoders? If so, uninstall it. In case other application has conflict with it, please test this issue in Windows Clean Boot mode. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode
    Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.
    2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.
    3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.
    4) Click Disable All.
    5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable All.
    6) Click OK.
    7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

In addition, the following fix worth a try and I believe it will apply to windows 7 too.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929182

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:36 AM
  • I took a quick look at the Windows Media Encoder home page, and neither version (x86 or x86) claims support for Win7.

As Magon indicates there is a KB article regarding version 9 (native support for Win2K and XP) when run on Vista (presume 32 bit Vista).

I'll keep looking and checking back here to see if a solution is available...

(Update) Just checked and Version 9 is listed as compatible with 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 according to the latest ITPro compatability spreadsheet.

I'll still keep looking to see if I can find anything else out.

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Friday, March 19, 2010 5:08 PM Updated spreadsheet info
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Thank you for your response Magon_67 & Win7Tester. Windows 7 is a fresh install on my PC. Actually the steps did not help the SDK work on Windows 7. I'm still looking for the solution, please post any solution/workaround for the issue.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Sambhaji:

Please see the following link and pay particular attention to the Vista hotfix section and the instructions linked following the discussion about "difficult to install" and see if any of this makes sense for you. 

http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/Best-practices-for-Windows-Media-Encoder-in-2009/

Unfortunately, I'm unwilling to install WME9 on my Win7 system in order to work along with you (I've got quite a few jobs to get out, and I use Adobe Production Premium CS4 for my needs and therefore have no impetus to install), so the best I can do is find other sources of information that may (or may not) help.

I haven't given up of course, I just can't take the risk of compromising my system in order to work through it and provide a solution of my own, I hope you understand.

DAS

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

I strongly recommend install those hotfix to check the result. If still no go, the application might be incompatible with windows 7. You can try reinstalling the application in vista compatible mode to check the result.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Try installing the following to update all the related files.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1AEF6FCE-6E06-4B66-AFE4-9AAD3C835D3D&displaylang=en

In addition, Windows 7 has a build-in feature called XP mode, you can workaround this issue by installing the SDK in XP mode.

• Edited by Magon_67 Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:57 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Thank you all for responding to the issue. I was able to get it working on Windows 7 by first installing the WMEncoder in Vista compatibility mode and then installing the hotfix for Vista. Thank you again.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Thank you all for responding to the issue. I was able to get it working on Windows 7 by first installing the WMEncoder in Vista compatibility mode and then installing the hotfix for Vista. Thank you again.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Glad to hear that, you are welcome.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:40 AM