Migrating from lync 2010 to Skype for business 2015 (Side by side) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

We are in the planning phase of migrating from Lync 2010 Enterprise to Skype for Business 2015 

Today we have 1FE Pool with 2 Front End servers, 1 Edge Pool with 2 Edge Servers and 1 Mediation Server. 

We are doing a side by side migration.

Ive been looking around reading about the migration process.

As faar ive seen it dosent require alot of downtime, only downtime i can see is when switching the mediation server and edge servers.

But one of the questions im thinking about is the SQL Backend, ive noticed when you install the new the management Tools and topology builder etc for SFB you use the old Lync 2010 database. We are running the Lync 2010 database on a SQL Cluster. Is there any considerations i have to think about when migrating, do i have to create a new database for SFB or does it use the Lync 2010 database? 

Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello

You can install the central management database to the same SQL cluster you have for your legacy Lync, as long as it is a separate instance. If you install Skype for Business CMS to the same instance you have Lync CMS installed on, you will overwrite the Lync databases with Skype for Business ones and break your deployment.

for reference https://skype4b.uk/2015/07/02/demystifying-migrations-strategies-from-lync-to-skype-for-business/

• Proposed as answer by GUIz49 Friday, November 11, 2016 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by JEHystad Monday, February 19, 2018 12:55 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 1:32 PM
  • I saw somthing like this in a technet post

You must use separate and distinct computers running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 or Microsoft SQL Server 2012 for your Lync Server 2013 database instances. You cannot use the same instance of SQL Server for a Lync Server 2013 Front End pool that you use for a Lync Server 2010 or Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Front End pool. If you define and configure Lync Server 2013 in Topology Builder for a deployment that already has Lync Server 2010 or Office Communications Server 2007 R2 deployed, Topology Builder will not allow you to define an instance of a Lync Server 2013 that is already in use in the topology.

Topology Builder will display the following message to inform you of this issue: "The SQL server [FQDN of the server] already contains a SQL instance hosting role 'User Store'."

Note: This is between Lync 2010 and Lync 2013.

Monday, November 14, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Hi JEHystad,

Welcome to our forum.

As your post, we must install new SQL server for migrating Lync server 2010 to Skype for business 2015 server, instead of using SQL server which has been hosting Lync 2010 server’s CMS database. Please also refer to the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951396.aspx

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:07 AM
  • What do you mean by new SQl server? An instance is basically a new SQL Server? Do you actually mean i have to install a new Windows Server on new hardware and install SQl Server?

Today we have a cluster lets call it Clusterlync wich is SQL server 2008 r2

We thought it would be ok to create a new cluster instance on the same server lets call it ClusterS4b wich is SQl server 2014 as i understand it. That would create a diffrent FQDN aswell

So we actually have to do a full hardware refresh creating a new windows server installing a standalone installation of SQL Server 2014? So how is licensing when you migrate from one SQL server to another do you have to pay full 4 Scokets license for both hosts, or is it ok that one server is licenced in the Coexsting phase? 

• Edited by JEHystad Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:07 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:40 AM