none
What are the recommended maximum project plan sizes? RRS feed

• Question

• What are the recommended maximum project plan sizes in terms of the number of tasks, number of sub plans, and overall duration?

We continue to question the poor Project Server performance in our environment.  We find that we are frequently I/O bound on our SAN disk(s).  It was pointed out that the article Microsoft Project Server 2010 Estimate Performance and Capacity Requirements for Microsoft Project Server 2010 uses a test project plan that is limited to 171 tasks.  So, this question becomes very important to deciding if we need to formally instruct our project managers how-to construct master plans and subplans; or simply determining that we need to upgrade our hardware.

Thanks, Eric

Eric Engle

Friday, January 25, 2013 12:57 AM

All replies

• Certainly 171 tasks per project plan is not the correct number,

Following article will give you more information about tested limitation of Project Server 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh297440.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Kashif Nizam Friday, January 25, 2013 2:54 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 6:25 AM
  • This is good information that I did not find with my own searches on the subject.  Thank you for the response.

I work for a BioTech and our project plans are quite a bit different than what appears to be the case for this document.  We have about 100 projects stored in Project Server, and only about 25 are active.  So you might think a small installation might be ok.  However, in the document the average number of tasks per plan is 171.  Our plans can have 10,000 tasks spanning 10-15 years.  Publishing the project plan seems to be very disk intensive. 

Does anyone have a similar portfolio?  What configuration sizing and hardware might be the best fit?

Thanks again.

Eric Engle

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Why don't you break-up your project into sub-project. This might help you.

For server topology I would suggest to have at least two tier architecture, follow the links for 2010, this would give you better idea.

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

• Edited by Kashif Nizam Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:36 PM