Need to install each solution on new WebFrontEnd ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we currently have 2 Sharepoint Server which are the WebFrontends and Application Servers. We are planning to add 2 more Servers to have a better Farm Architecture with no single point of failures.

My question:

After installing Sharepoint on these two Machines, do i have to install all my solution (>50) which are already installed on the others on the new Servers, too? Or is there a automatically sync like when currently installing on one server it deploys on the others automatically.

Best regards,
    Yavuz B.

My Sharepoint and Enterprise 2.0 Blog http://www.starcoder.net | Microsoft Sharepoint Resources & Blogs List
    Monday, December 5, 2011 8:26 AM

Answers

• Are you running WSS v3/MOSS 2007 or an earlier version of SharePoint such as SharePoint Portal Server 2003 or WSS v2? If you're using the 2007 release of SharePoint, the solutions that are already deployed to your farm will be automatically applied to each new server you add to the farm. If you're running a version of SharePoint older than that, you will have to manually apply the updates to the servers yourself.

(as a side note, please keep in mind that you will still have at least one point of failure in your farm: search. In MOSS 2007, you can only have one index server per index, so just remember that if that server goes down you won't be able to update the index as new content is added to the farm. Its not a huge deal, I just wanted to throw that out there so you were aware of it.)

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by [Yavuz B.] Monday, December 5, 2011 7:05 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Timer Jobs should take care of everything for you once the server is joined to the farm. You shouldn't need to do anything via STSADM or the Central Admin site for the solutions to be applied.

John

My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 4:28 PM

All replies

• Are you running WSS v3/MOSS 2007 or an earlier version of SharePoint such as SharePoint Portal Server 2003 or WSS v2? If you're using the 2007 release of SharePoint, the solutions that are already deployed to your farm will be automatically applied to each new server you add to the farm. If you're running a version of SharePoint older than that, you will have to manually apply the updates to the servers yourself.

(as a side note, please keep in mind that you will still have at least one point of failure in your farm: search. In MOSS 2007, you can only have one index server per index, so just remember that if that server goes down you won't be able to update the index as new content is added to the farm. Its not a huge deal, I just wanted to throw that out there so you were aware of it.)

John

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Thanks. I am running MOSS2007. Do i have to do an stscommand or is everything done automatically after adding the new servers to the farm?

Best regards,
    Yavuz B.

My Sharepoint and Enterprise 2.0 Blog http://www.starcoder.net | Microsoft Sharepoint Resources & Blogs List
    • Edited by [Yavuz B.] Monday, December 5, 2011 3:55 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Timer Jobs should take care of everything for you once the server is joined to the farm. You shouldn't need to do anything via STSADM or the Central Admin site for the solutions to be applied.

John

Monday, December 5, 2011 4:28 PM