none
File and Print Sharing - Network Discovery GP

Question

• Hello All,

Im trying to create GP to enable file and printer sharing and network discovery, i did create GP and configured the following:

- computer configuration\administrative templates\ network\ network connections\ windows firewall\ domain profile\ allow inbound file and print sharing ( enabled)

- computer configuration\administrative templates\ network\ link-layer topology discovery\ turn on mapper i/o ( enabled)

then i linked to test OU , i run GPRESULT /R and it was applied but in client computer it still off. Is there is another way to configure these policies on DOMAIN profile. 

Thank you

• Edited by IICO2022 Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi once again,

Could you please check if the following services are running :

Function Discovery Resource Publication

SSDP Discovery

UPnP Device Host

If not you can modify your GPO to change the startup settings for these services to automatic.

Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> System Services.

And this time it should be ok :-) ( I tried on my lab and it worked)

Regards

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Follow this procedure and you'll be happy :-)

http://www.technig.com/enable-network-discovery-via-group-policy/

Regards

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Hi,
    Was the gpresult /r run on clients or DC?
    Please make sure that you have rebooted clients or run gpupdate /force on clients to take effect of the GPO immediately.
    And you could follow the suggested link step by step as Seblecoach01 offered and see if it works.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Thank you for replying. I did the same steps on the suggested link but when i open network and sharing center - advanced sharing settings - domain - network discovery and file and print sharing still turn off.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:28 AM
  • I run gpupdate /force on client, i run gpresult /r on client and policy is applied on the client. I did reboot client PC and both services still off.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:30 AM
  • Hi once again,

Could you please check if the following services are running :

Function Discovery Resource Publication

SSDP Discovery

UPnP Device Host

If not you can modify your GPO to change the startup settings for these services to automatic.

Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> System Services.

And this time it should be ok :-) ( I tried on my lab and it worked)

Regards

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:59 AM