Stuck in a "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop RRS feed

• Question

• We recently had to uninstall a bad driver on our Windows Server 2012 box and we booted into Safe Mode with Networking to get it removed. After rebooting the system seems to be stuck in a loop, rebooting into Windows recovery / repair mode.

We get a "Preparing Automatic Repair - loading files" message and then we get a menu to Choose and Option. From here we can Continue, Troubleshoot or Turn off PC. No matter what we do, we can't get away from this menu. We can't even boot into Safe Mode.

Orange County District Attorney

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:50 PM

Answers

• Found my answer in a web search. I got to the cmd prompt and ran

bcdedit /set {GUID} recoveryenable no

This let me boot to the actual error which showed us the unsigned HP driver file that was causing the problem. We booted the box to a DaRT 8 cd and was able to rename the offending files. We're back and good to go at least until we find a good HP driver!

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, March 25, 2013 5:24 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 8:40 PM

All replies

• Found my answer in a web search. I got to the cmd prompt and ran

bcdedit /set {GUID} recoveryenable no

This let me boot to the actual error which showed us the unsigned HP driver file that was causing the problem. We booted the box to a DaRT 8 cd and was able to rename the offending files. We're back and good to go at least until we find a good HP driver!

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, March 25, 2013 5:24 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 8:40 PM
  • How to get into cmd mode when screen states preparing and repairing automatic repair/ prompt, when the screen repeats over and over. Can I do this by booting in some type of boot mode?

PCW

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:39 PM
  • PCW;

I had this issue in a VMware image of Windows 2012.  For that I needed to point the image's CD-ROM setting at an ISO file I had which was the Windows 2012 installation "disk", but there are several ways to load a DVD disk or its image into VMware Guest operating systems.

1. Insert install disk into optical drive, or otherwise have it available for the boot process.
    2. Start-up the VM or machine.  You do not need to jump to the BIOS and change boot-up orders or anything like that.
    3. When the Automatic Recovery fails, you are given two options, "Retsart" or "Advanced options".
    4. Choose the "Advanced options".
    5. After that is a second set of selections appears:  "Continue" (retry boot), "Troubleshoot", and "Turn off".
    6. Choose "Troubleshoot".
    7. Next screen options are "Refresh your PC" (safe repair), "Reset your PC" (erase and reinstall all), and "Advanced options".
    8. Choose "Advanced options".
    9. The final screen offers five options, including "System Restore" (if you had Restore Points saved), "System Image Recovery" (requires back-up image), "Startup Repair", the "Command Prompt" option you wanted, and "Startup Settings".

Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:08 PM
  • Sally Wood;

What should be the value for {GUID}?  Is that a specific length string you made up or generated, or did it ned to be a specific value taken from somewhere else?  I assume it is an identifier for something on your specific machine, such as the Disk ID, or other item.

How would a user following your instructions identify the correct GUID to use for their situation?

Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Sally Wood;

What should be the value for {GUID}?  Is that a specific length string you made up or generated, or did it ned to be a specific value taken from somewhere else?  I assume it is an identifier for something on your specific machine, such as the Disk ID, or other item.

How would a user following your instructions identify the correct GUID to use for their situation?

I have the same question. I keep getting "An unknown command was specified". Maybe I'm making a syntax error, but I cant find it.
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 9:42 PM