Exchange Server 2007 dependency on old DC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I have a strange situation whereby when I turn off one particular DC (of a total of 7) Exchange starts spitting out various errors.

Example: when I create a new user I see Exchange Server 2007 exchange1.mydomain.net returned an error -2147221245 from the Address List Service. The server mentioned in the error isn´t even the one where I want to create the user, but it is the one that seems to have some dependancy on this particular DC.

I have 7 DC´s, all GC´s, 3 of which are Server 2003 R2 SP2 EE, and the one required by this Exchange server is Server 2003 EE SP2. Why does this one server "favour" this DC? There is no mention of it in the TCP/IP configuration etc, and the other servers appear to have no such requirement.

In exchange

System Settings-->Domain Controller Server bieng used by exchange-->the problamatic DC is not there!!!

Where else will the entry for this DC will be there for exchange!!!

Also this is the fisrt domain controller in the organisation.

What could be the issue??

Please help I am in production.

Manju

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

After excluding the DC from the Exchange server with the above command I mentioned, the issue has been rectified.

The issue was due to the replication not happening between the old DC\ The DC coming online and we are bringing it offline frequently to decommision that caused the issue (The newly created objects were not getting updated in the old DC)

Finally I excluded the DC and now even that is decommissioed so that the issue disappeared.

thanks all for yor support!!!

Manju

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:51 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 12:11:58 +0000, manjurainbow123 wrote:

>I have a strange situation whereby when I turn off one particular DC (of a total of 7) Exchange starts spitting out various errors.

Why, I'd like to know, are you turning off DCs in the middle of the
    day?

>Example: when I create a new user I see Exchange Server 2007 exchange1.mydomain.net returned an error -2147221245 from the Address List Service. The server mentioned in the error isn´t even the one where I want to create the user, but it is the one that seems to have some dependancy on this particular DC.

The error you cite is 0x80040103, but taken out of context it's pretty
    meaningless. Use the "copy" button on the event and post the results.
    That might be more meaningful.

>I have 7 DC´s, all GC´s, 3 of which are Server 2003 R2 SP2 EE, and the one required by this Exchange server is Server 2003 EE SP2. Why does this one server "favour" this DC? There is no mention of it in the TCP/IP configuration etc, and the other servers appear to have no such requirement.

Is it the PDC FSMO role holder? You're creating a new user. If the
    server is a FSMO role holder (maybe to get a new batch of RIDs?) and
    it's not availble that would be a problem.

>In exchange
    >
    >System Settings-->Domain Controller Server bieng used by exchange-->the problamatic DC is not there!!!
    >
    >Where else will the entry for this DC will be there for exchange!!!
    >
    >Also this is the fisrt domain controller in the organisation.

So it probably has all the FSMO roes unless you've spread them out
    over a few other DCs. That sounds more like an AD design problem than
    an Exchange problem.
    >
    >What could be the issue??
    >
    >Please help I am in production.

Get-ExchangeServer -status| fl name,CurrentConfigDomainController

But even better would be more information about the DC you took off
    line.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Here is clarifications:

1.All the FSMO roles are transferred long back to another DC and the problamatic one does not have any roles.

2. I am in process of de-commissioning the DC

3. Get-ExchangeServer -Status | name,CurrentConfigDomainController gives result where THIS dc is not listed.

4. Only thing this DC was the fist domain controller in the org

5. Where else we can have look guide me

Manju

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Hi All,

After excluding the DC from the Exchange server with the above command I mentioned, the issue has been rectified.

The issue was due to the replication not happening between the old DC\ The DC coming online and we are bringing it offline frequently to decommision that caused the issue (The newly created objects were not getting updated in the old DC)

Finally I excluded the DC and now even that is decommissioed so that the issue disappeared.

thanks all for yor support!!!

Manju

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:51 AM