Analitic Grid Report with 2 dimensions in Rows RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a proof of concepts here and I have this 2 dimensions, Organization and Projects.
    I'm using a Organization hierarchy which is build about the my organizational structure and I would like projects to be arrange on this structure. Organization and Projects have a relation 1 to 1 and the cube seems to be working fine in SSAS but, when I try to build an analytic report adding the project dimension under the organization dimension on the rows, every project is arranged under every organization.

Is there a way to show the project only on the organization it belongs to without going in to the MDX coding? or is this just another limitation on the Designer?
    Oscar
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:20 PM

Answers

•  I see what you are looking at now, I didn't realize you were dealing with the entire organization hierarchy along with the project and the output that you are looking at achieving.  To get at your desired result and to keep the navigation you are going to need to look at creating the report in a different tool that will allow you more control and not lose navigation - ProClarity, Reporting Services, or Excel.  These will allow you to control the output and get at the more collapsed view that you are looking for.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Monday, February 16, 2009 8:13 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:03 PM

All replies

• Have you added anything to your columns at all?  Have you applied the filters at all?

I would suggest the following:

1.  Add the two attributes as described to the rows
    2.  Add the measure(s) to the columns
    3.  Click on the 'browse' button
    4.  In the toolbar above the grid select 'filter empty rows' (and you can select 'filter empty columns')
    5.  Click 'ok'

By default NON EMPTY is not included in the MDX generation like it is with the SSAS cube browser, so this is most likely where you are seeing the differences.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Hi Oscar,

I don't know if this will give you exactly what you want, but try setting the grid to "tabular layout":

1. While viewing your report in Dashboard Designer, select the "Edit" tab in the ribbon bar at the top of Dashboard Designer.
    2. Click the "Report Layout" button
    3. Select "Tabular layout"

This should collapse the view so that there is only one row per Project.

- Tim

Developer, Microsoft PerformancePoint
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Thank you both for replying.

Dan,
    Yes I have some columns but no filters yet.
    My first approach was actually filtering the empty rows but I still getting the projects on every level of the hierarchy of organization it belongs to.
    something like:
    -Org Lev1
        Project A
        -Org Lev2
            Project A
            -Org Lev3
                Project A

Tim,
    If I select the "tabular layout" I'll miss the drill down capability which is part of the initiative I'm trying to deploy

I'm looking for something like: 
    -Org1 Lev1
        -Org1 Lev2
            -Org1 Lev3
                Project A
    +Org2 Lev1
    -Org3 Lev1
        -Org3 Lev2
            Project B

any other clues?
    thx.
    Oscar
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:16 PM
  •  I see what you are looking at now, I didn't realize you were dealing with the entire organization hierarchy along with the project and the output that you are looking at achieving.  To get at your desired result and to keep the navigation you are going to need to look at creating the report in a different tool that will allow you more control and not lose navigation - ProClarity, Reporting Services, or Excel.  These will allow you to control the output and get at the more collapsed view that you are looking for.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Monday, February 16, 2009 8:13 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:03 PM
  • That's what I was afraid of  :s

I've already have a good approach on Reporting Services but creating all dashboards I currently have deployed in production will take some time.
    I've heard good stuff about Proclarity but I have not get in to it yet.

I think I'll keep my previous approach at this point which is creating the whole Organizational structure (with the hierarchy) in the Project dimension.

Thanks for your help Dan

Oscar
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:18 PM