none
Create DHCP Failover between Windows server 2008 and 2016

Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows Server 2008 as a Primary domain Controller(ADDS, DNS and DHCP installed and configured) and windows Server 2016 as secondary Domain Controller(ADDS and DNS installed and Configured as a BackUP AD) . But i need to configure Failover DHCP. So that my WS 2016 acts as a complete failover Server. 

We can easily configure Failover on WS 2012 but what is the process of configuration of DHCP failover on WS 2008. 

Thanks,

Roshan

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:39 AM

All replies

• With Windows Server 2008 R2 and prior you have two options available for DHCP server deployment:

DHCP in a Windows failover cluster or Split scope DHCP. 

The new DHCP failover is only available with Windows Server 2012, or later. It is recommended that both servers are running the same operating system. 

I would say that the only option would be to use the Split scope DHCP option if you would like to run your DHCP failover on both operating systems (2008 and 2016)

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:07 AM