none
Missing DNS NS record in _msdcs delegation RRS feed

• Question

• I migrated a SBS 2003 server to SBS 2008 server last week and ran the BPA and was able to correct all items except one.  The error is a DNS error and I cannot manually create the NS record in the zone.  This is the message: "There are no DNS name server (NS) resource records in the _msdcs sub-domain in the forward lookup zone for Windows SBS 2008."

I demoted the SBS 2003 server and it is no longer available so I cannot work with it.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jeff
    • Edited by BigRedFan Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:52 PM Changed dns name from _msdcd to _msdcs
    Monday, November 1, 2010 7:00 PM

Answers

• I checked another SBS server and discovered I needed to make a new forward zone for _msdcs.domain.local.  The NS record appeared in the _msdcs folder under the domain's foward lookup zone.

The problem is solved.  Thanks for your assistance Kevin.

Jeff
    • Marked as answer by BigRedFan Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:03 PM

All replies

• What error do you get when trying to create NS manually. Is the zone secure, ad integrated, or what?
    /kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 11:07 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I cannot manually create a NS record under the _msdcs folder.  The option does not exist.I can create other DNS records, but not the NS record.  The zone is AD integrated and the _msdcs folder is under the server's domain. 

I researched the error, restarted the netlogon service, flushed DNS and registered it but no luck.  I have even restarted the server but it did not create the NS record for the server under the _msdcs folder.  All the other DNS settings look right to me.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:17 PM
  • I checked another SBS server and discovered I needed to make a new forward zone for _msdcs.domain.local.  The NS record appeared in the _msdcs folder under the domain's foward lookup zone.

The problem is solved.  Thanks for your assistance Kevin.

Jeff
    • Marked as answer by BigRedFan Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Glad you got your problem resolved. Sounds like something didn't complete durring your initial migration.
    /kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Hi Kevin

I need some adivce if possible!

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP2 Within my domain at my school. i have only one server for DNS and DHCP as well as AD.

i stupidly enough deleted my DNS settings from the forward and reverse lookup zones for my domain so i have had to rebuild some of my DNS up. so far i have done new zones for both forward and reverse which do work and pick up names and ips from my clients. but ive lost all my SV records which DCpromo creates when making a server as a primary.

without going into drastic measure. can i rebuild my SV records i.e my _msdcs.domain.local records backup?

also to point out i luckly have acronis backup and restore so i will have backups of all files before i stupidly deleted these settings! could i even put the files back to what it was before??

i hope you can help

many thanks in advance!

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Phillip,

Good etiquite would be to start a new question or discussion rather than to tail on to an old one with similar topics. So, next time...

Have a look at the following for this time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241505

/kj
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:38 PM