none
“The file may have been changed by another user since you last saved it.” Now password does not work RRS feed

• Question

• I received this message when I saved and closed my file which is password protected. Now I cannot open the file. It is saying my password is incorrect. I have been using this file for 15 years so I know that password is correct.  We are on Exchange 2010 and I am using Office 2016.  This file is saved on our network drive.  Please help!  Thanks.

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hi MDCyclonefan,

What's the type of this file?
    Did you see the Save As or Overwrite options when saving and closing the file?
    Does the issue affect other users in the same environment?

Please check if you have logged in to multiple computers to access the file. Try to log out other computers and see if there will be any improvement.

Besides, if this is an Excel file, please try the following steps and check the result:

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
    Please refer to this article about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

1.  Press Win + R, type "regedit" in the Open box, and then click OK . 
    2.  Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Options 

3.  Click Edit > New > Dword Value. 
    4.  Type NetworkAvailableTimeInSeconds, and then press Enter. 
    5.  Right-click NetworkAvailableTimeInSeconds, and then click Modify . 
    6.  In the Value data box, click Decimal , type a number value, and then click OK .

Note This registry subkey sets the time, in seconds, that Excel waits for the network to resume. For example, if you type 15 for the number value, Excel waits 15 seconds for the network to resume. You might have to do some tests in your own environment to determine an appropriate value. You may have to try multiple numbers. 

7.  Locate and then select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\Internet

8.  Repeat step 2 through step 6 again. Reuse the same value that you used previously. 
    9.  Exit Registry Editor and check the result.

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:11 AM