Drivers for my Network card RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for Vista drivers for the "3Com 3C920B-EMB-WNM Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller" can anybody get me some?
    Friday, June 9, 2006 2:26 AM

All replies

• You should go back to where you got the card from and ask the manufacturer. IIRC, the NIC you are talking about is a built in one, so you may need to go to the OEM you got your hardware from.

If you have installed Vista and this NIC was not found, consider filing a bug.

Friday, June 9, 2006 12:38 PM
  • i have installed vista, the network card was not found, , the manufacure STILL has not got back to me

i can also not file a bug, because i am not a beta tester i have the public release

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:53 PM
  • I am having the same issue. Any luck ?

Thanks

Andy

Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:41 AM
  • are you using the 32 bit or the 64 version of vista?
    Friday, June 23, 2006 1:37 PM
  • i am using the 32 bit version
    Friday, June 23, 2006 4:23 PM
  • This problem is caused by the fact that ATI choose not to support the ATI Radeon 9100 ICP with their Vista Beta device drivers.  The support for the network card is provided with th support for their video card.  It is provided with their XP drivers but not their Vista Beta drivers.  I have asked them if the final version will support it and will let you know what I find out.
    Friday, June 23, 2006 6:18 PM
  • damn ati,, lets hope they release the drivers, is there any reason why ATI is not updating the drivers for the Radeon 9100 ICP?
    Friday, June 23, 2006 6:23 PM
  • I asked ATI if they would be providing a device driver for the Radeon 9100 ICP for Vista when it is released (It looks like the Vista drivers are limited to only the cards released in the last year or so) and their answer wasn't very helpful, it was we don't know yet.   I suggest anyone having this problem open a ticket with ATI in order to sort of "nag" them.  I think it is pointless to hope for a new driver for the beta drivers, but it can't hurt to try, I am more concerned that they have one for Vista when it goes GA.
    Saturday, June 24, 2006 5:59 PM
  • I doubt this will help you but I got around my problem (being able to connect to my network) by connecting up a USB wireless device I had laying around.  My router/hub has a wireless G connection and it all worked just fine and I was able to activate windows successfully.  I sure hope ATI decided to not drop all old cards, it would mean I would switch to Nvidia, if they stop supporting cards over a year old.  Not sure if this suggestion will help but good luck, I think you are screwed for the beta.  It might be possible to manually install the Windows XP drivers, not sure I never tried, but that would have been my next option.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 7:42 AM
  • problem is i don't have a wireless ubs card, or any free UBS port for that matter

also i try to manully install it,and install it in compatbility mode, with no luck

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem with Vista. I loaded on a new notebook, then an old desktop. All went well so I loaded Vista on a an old laptop owned by my employer - trouble - no network. Vista prolitely offered to search the internet for proper drivers, but of course the offer was a futile offer.

I downloaded the 3c920 XP drivers from Dell, then burned to a dvd-r

Click on or copy this entire link and paste into your browser - (1 line of text - this post window incorrectly wraps long link text)

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R49651&SystemID=LAT_PNT_CEL_C540&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=1206&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=58539

The Dell download is an .exe file. Once on the target machine, I just ran the exe and the drivers installed and rebooted the machine. No hacking required.

After reboot, the target machine could see my entire network.

Jim

Sunday, July 9, 2006 3:59 AM
  • Once connected, Windows update suggested installing the proper vista driver for the 3c920. Cool!!!

But the update cleanly failed. Vista is really neat, but has some issues. It is not friendly to experts, like Linux is.

Want to check out your network device configuration? "# Ifconfig" on Linux, and you have what you want.

or

Navigate 7 levels of menus/windows on vista to find your ip address, gateway and netmask

Jim

Sunday, July 9, 2006 4:39 AM
  • ...might be that Linux "experts" are still to discover the Command Line Interface and its uses, like: ipconfig /all

;) Just a joke...

Friday, September 15, 2006 12:33 AM
  • I have this same same 3COM card and the XP drivers worked fine for me.  I simply searched for them when prompted from the device manager...
    Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:05 PM
  • don't know if this will help or not, but i run a tyan thunder s2462 dual amd athlon mp server board and just recently upgraded to windows vista ultimate.  this board has dual integrated 3com 3c920 fast ethernet nics (3c980c-txm), and i was having trouble locating the proper drivers as well.  i found on tyan's tech support site a blanket driver for this nic, and voila! it works great.

here's the address: ftp://ftp.tyan.com/LAN/S2462/3Com_NIC

hope this helps!

"Scuba" Steve aka badmojo

Friday, August 24, 2007 4:56 AM