Virtual app (Adobe Reader 9) works on XP but not on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Did this happen to anyone else?  I've sequenced Adobe Rearder 9 with 4.5 Sequencer and it works fine on XPs but not on Win 7 machines.  When I deploy the app via SCCM, it installs fine but I can't find the Adobe icon anywhere.  Does it mean that I have to resequence the app with 4.5 SP1 Sequencer in order for it to work on Win 7 machines?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:32 PM

Answers

• Most likely: "Win7" is not listed in one of OSD file's <OS VALUE="..." /> elements, or if it's Win7 64-bit, then "Win764"

(btw, if you edit OSD file to include this, note that OSD inside the possible MSI package does not change so you need to re-save in Sequencer to update that one)

If this does not help, can you post the exact log line from the sftlog?

br,
    Kalle

• Marked as answer by Man W. _ Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:07 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Is the application available within the client management console? What does the app-v / SCCM log files say? What are the OS:es that are defined in the OSD?

/Znack
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:12 AM
  • where is the location of the sftlog.txt file on a Windows 7 machine? 
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:05 PM
  • I'm assuming we should sequence Adobe Reader in XP 32bit right?  Or do I have to sequence it on a Windows 7 box for it to work on both 7 and XP?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Hello,

See log-file-location;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc817103.aspx

Microsoft best practice is to sequence for the target operating system you are deploying to.
    Softricity best practice used to be to sequence on the lowest operating system version you were deploying to.

/Znack
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:33 PM
  • thanks Znack, it checked out the sftlog and it says it could not load OSF file for Adobe Reader.  But it loads fine on a XP computer, what gives?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Hello,

Well, that depends. First of all of how your setup is currently effecting the application but secondly on your possibility to communicate it if you wish to receive assistance in this forum.

What does the log-file say? Have you googled the error code? How is your environment setup? What releveance does the error code have to your specific environment?

Before you continue asking I would strongly suggest this KB-article,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

/Znack

Monday, November 30, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Most likely: "Win7" is not listed in one of OSD file's <OS VALUE="..." /> elements, or if it's Win7 64-bit, then "Win764"

(btw, if you edit OSD file to include this, note that OSD inside the possible MSI package does not change so you need to re-save in Sequencer to update that one)

If this does not help, can you post the exact log line from the sftlog?

br,
    Kalle

• Marked as answer by Man W. _ Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:07 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Thanks Kalle, this was the answer.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:07 PM