workflow running multiple times RRS feed

• Question

• In an effort to determine why an automatic email on a custom workflow is going out multiple times, I looked at the workflow on the list item.  I can see that the workflow ran twice with the exact same time stamp.  I can't figure out why it would do this. Appreciate any ideas or things to look for.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure that the workflow is now not configured for both Item created & Item Changed together:

Case 1:

You configure a workflow to have both of the following options enabled:
     Start this workflow when a new item is created
     Start this workflow when an item is changed
    Case 2:

You configure two separate workflows. One workflow has the Start this workflow when a new item is created option enabled. The other workflow has the Start this workflow when an item is changed option enabled.

If this is the case, it will fire the workflow more than once.

Regards, Md Rizwan Khan

• Proposed as answer by efrain.lopez Monday, September 23, 2013 10:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:52 AM
  • I doubled checked the start options on this workflow and it is only set to initiate whenever an item is changed.  There is another workflow that acts upon the same list (also runs on onChange), however as mentioned when I look at the workflow history, I can see that the one ran twice in a row, not alternating with the other one.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

I understand that there are two workflows on the list and one of them will run twice. Have you installed SP1 for SharePoint 2007? What do the workflows do?

Since SharePoint 2007 SP1, it stops workflow from triggering itself. If you haven’t installed SP1, you need to make sure that the workflow will not edit itself. Since both of the workflow will run on item change, you need to make sure that the two workflow will not trigger each other. Only one instance can run on an item for the same workflow. So the second instance is triggered after the first instance completed. Make sure that the

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:08 AM
  • we do have SP1 installed.

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Hi there,

Thank you for your forum posting, I have read over it and it appears you have a workflow that is running multiple times. At this time we do not know the logic of the workflow so I can only provide you with a suggestion on solving it. If the suggestion does not solve your issue please provide us with screenshots of the logic so we can better determine the issue at hand.

Here is a SharePoint Designer team blog that describes what you're seeing: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2009/07/13/service-pack-2-prevents-an-on-change-workflow-from-starting-itself.aspx

Gregg

MSFT

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Please confirm one thing..which tool you have used to develop the workflow. Is it SPD or Visual Studio?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:44 PM