none
Office apps unable to access or connect to RMS server(On-Prem).

Question

• Users are unable to access or connect to RMS connect using the Office app 2016 suite getting below error 

---------------------------
    The application received an unexpected response from the Rights Management server due to a misconfiguration or a server error. Please contact Microsoft for further support.

--------------------------

However they are able to access or create new RMS emails using OWA. Now users are not able to create RMS emails or Protect word/excel/ppt documents connecting to the RMS servers.

Any suggestions.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:51 AM

All replies

• Users are unable to access or connect to RMS connect using the Office app 2016 suite getting below error 

---------------------------
    The application received an unexpected response from the Rights Management server due to a misconfiguration or a server error. Please contact Microsoft for further support.

--------------------------

However they are able to access or create new RMS emails using OWA. Now users are not able to create RMS emails or Protect word/excel/ppt documents connecting to the RMS servers.

Any suggestions.

I have seen this error before, I believe the issue for me was that I needed to add a user into the RMS Super User group.

Very Respectfully,
    Dana Garcia - MCP (Designing and Deploying Microsoft Exchange Server 2016)

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

How do you setup/configure IRM for Office 2016?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179103.aspx

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:13 AM