none
Adding a Windows 2016 Essential Server to an Existing Windows 2012 Essentials Domain

Question

• I have an established Windows 2012 Essentials Server with all the DC roles. I have purchased new hardware and it has Windows 2016 Essentials server already installed. Can I just add the 2016 server to the domain and then make it the primary DC? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2018 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Birwinator Wednesday, May 09, 2018 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>I have purchased new hardware and it has Windows 2016 Essentials server already installed.
    In general, if you had complete the WSE insulation and configuration, then, AD DS server role is automatically installed during the configuration. you can check installed server role on your WSE 2016 to confirm it.

Open PowerShell and type below cmdlet to list installed server roles and features:
    Get-windowsfeature

Or, you can open Server Manager to check installed server roles.

If AD DS has been installed, domain relate settings might be already configured. If you want to add current WSE 2016 to existing domain and replace the old DC, you may need to manually un-install below server roles:
    1. Windows Server Essentials Experience.
    2. Active Directory Certification Authority, remove Certification Authority Web Enrollment firstly, then remove Certification Authority.
    3. Active Directory Domain Services.

Then, re-start system and manually add WSE2016 to existing domain, reference blog “Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials in an Existing Active Directory Environment” (also applied to WSE2016) for detail steps:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2014/02/21/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment/

If AD DS has not been installed, you can just reference above blog to manually add WSE2016 to existing domain.

More detail information about un-install Essentials Experience, you can reference “[Forum FAQ] Introduction and FAQ for the Windows Server Essentials Experience role”(it is also applied to WSE 2016):
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d4b1501d-8631-4c0e-80e4-c85b876fcd55/forum-faq-introduction-and-faq-for-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role?forum=winserveressentials

Note:
    Based on your description, it is OEM version WSE2016, before any change, please backup system first, also, if possible, please contact the hardware provider and confirm with them about the un-install(above) plan. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 03, 2018 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, May 07, 2018 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by Birwinator Wednesday, May 09, 2018 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:53 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. I'm currently waiting to perform the functions until I have reviewed all of the links you have provided. I am hoping to start the migration this week and will keep you updated on the progress. I really appreciate your guidance.

Birwinator

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

It’s my pleasure. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:36 AM
  • My experience with OEM versions of WSE 2016 is that you better start from scratch with, if possible, clean installation media. A vanilla 2016 server can easily be joined to the existing domain and later the Essentials Experience role can be installed. OEMs have a habit of creating custom WSE 2016 installation media that makes a migration difficult.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Mariëtte

Thank you for your input. I think the OEM version may be the problem. I have followed the directions that Eve has kindly given me in the article, "Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials in an Existing Active Directory Environment". I followed the directions but once I installed ADDS to the new, 2016 Server, I did not get the prompt to join the domain. Rather, the only message that is currently showing in the Server Dashboard flagged messages is, "Post-deployment Configuration - Configure Windows Server Essentials," message. When I select it, I get a generic error "An error occurred while configuring Windows Server Essentials. Please try again". From there, I can't perform any configuration through the GUI interface.

If I remove the ADDS from the 2016 Server, will that cause any issues? I have not performed any configuration on my current 2012 DC, so that is fully functional?

My past experience with attempting to uninstall an OEM product was disastrous so I'm not sure I want to do that unless there is an easy way of doing so.

Thank you,

Birwinator

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:41 PM