none
Is there a way to display the Summary Task in front of the subtasks in Team Planner view? RRS feed

• Question

• Just learning and trying to have 3-4 projects within 1 file. I have my 3 projects listed as Summary Tasks, then subtasks under each. The subtasks names are the same under each Summary Task.

Is there a way in Team Planner to display the Summary Task in front of each Subtask in the unassigned area? Since the subtasks have the same names, it just lists it all out and I cannot tell which subtask belongs to which Summary Task. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On the Team Planner - Format context sensitive tab, there is a "roll up" option that allows you to display summary task names - however, it replaces the task name with the summary task name - so I'm not sure that's an option.  You could Roll up the tasks to see project name and then select the tasks from each project and color the bars - but that would also be fairly labor intensive.  Would the using the Resource usage view be an option?  You may add the "Task Summary Name" field to the left side of the view to see the summary names there.

Julie

Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Thank you. That would take some time, but it would be possible. Resource usage is nice, any way of changing the hours listed on the right hand side to a calendar with bars, similar to Gantt chart? If so I may be in business.

Thanks again.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

No, sorry.  The bar look from the Team Planner is not available in the resource usage view.  You can run a macro to copy the full "parentage" of the task.  See the "Summary Name" macro at:

http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm

You could then manually copy/paste the value in the Text12 field over the task name field.  Then the Team Planner view should work.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Thanks. May be over my head since I am brand new to this, but will give it a shot.

Friday, April 5, 2013 10:13 AM
  • I am close :)

I have it shown correctly in the Gantt chart with the Summary Task listed in front of every subtask. Team Planner still only shows the subtask and I cannot see how to modify any of those columns.

Friday, April 5, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Is the summary task + task name in the Text12 field?  Have you copied/pasted that data back to the Task Name field?
    Friday, April 5, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Yes.

That was it. I had to paste it back to the Task Name. Awesome, thanks again for all your help!!!

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:23 AM
  • You're welcome and thank you for the feedback.
    Friday, April 5, 2013 11:40 AM
  • Sorry, 1 more question. Now when I add a new subtask to an existing Summary Task it does not include the Summary Task link. I thought maybe I had to rerun the macro, but all that did was add the Summary Task Name twice
    Friday, April 5, 2013 12:29 PM