none
R2 essentials installation on Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of migrating SBS 2008 to R2 2012 Essentials.  My goal is to have a standard 2012 R2 server hosting two virtual machines - one running the Essentials server as my DC, and the other running standard server as my App server.  I have seen some marketing materials indicating that this is possible.  I have tried it and gotten stuck.  Can anybody point me to existing materials for this kind of setup?

JeHarry

Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeharry,

If you have installed VM on hyper-v host, and you want to connect the vm to internet, please refer to the steps below:

To create an external virtual network (linked to your physical NIC), you have to follow theses steps :

1. Open the Hyper-v Manager
    2. On the right side, click on Virtual Network Manager
    3. A window is opened where you can create 3 types of virtual network (External, Internal and Private)
    4. Choose External and click on the button Add
    5. You can specify the name of your virtual network AND the connection type : choose your physical NIC
    6. Click on OK to apply your configuration
    7. If you check your Network Connections, you will see that you have your external virtual network created

To link your virtual network to a VM :
    1. Open the settings of a VM
    2. In the network configuration, choose to link your VM to the external virtual network created
    3. Click OK to apply

For detailed information about Configuring Hyper-V Virtual Networks, please refer to this article:

http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Understanding_and_Configuring_Hyper-V_Virtual_Networks

In addition, for the Hyper-v issue, I recommend you can post in the dedicated forum for more efficient support:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:53 AM

All replies

• This link is for 2012 but should be the same as 2012r2. Are you using Exchange on the SBS 2008 server?  If so you will have to migrate your email to Office 365 or some other email service as Essentials does not have an equivalent feature. Another option you could do is install 2012R2 Standard, add it as a domain controller, move the FSMO roles over and migrate the file and other services over. Then demote and remove the SBS 2008 server. 2012R2 will let you install the essentials console if you want the features without the limitations.

Britt

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:08 AM
  • Hi JeHarry,

You can install server 2012 R2 Essentials as DC on hyper-v VM.

To Migrate Windows Small Business Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, please follow the steps in this article:

Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Which link is for 2012?

JeHarry

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:41 AM
  • Hi Anna:

Thanks for the response.  However, I have been using that documentation for some time.  Note that the documentation references a hyper-v option which depends on vendor.  In my case, that option is not there.  I successfully have installed Server 2012 R2 as the host, and enabled the Hyper-v role.  I have then installed Essentials in one virtual machine.  However, I am unable to find guidance or reference regarding network configuration, etc.  In addition, I am unable to add the Essentials server to the existing network.  It simply doesn't see the existing network for whatever reason.

JeHarry

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:44 AM
  • Hi Jeharry,

If you have installed VM on hyper-v host, and you want to connect the vm to internet, please refer to the steps below:

To create an external virtual network (linked to your physical NIC), you have to follow theses steps :

1. Open the Hyper-v Manager
    2. On the right side, click on Virtual Network Manager
    3. A window is opened where you can create 3 types of virtual network (External, Internal and Private)
    4. Choose External and click on the button Add
    5. You can specify the name of your virtual network AND the connection type : choose your physical NIC
    6. Click on OK to apply your configuration
    7. If you check your Network Connections, you will see that you have your external virtual network created

To link your virtual network to a VM :
    1. Open the settings of a VM
    2. In the network configuration, choose to link your VM to the external virtual network created
    3. Click OK to apply

For detailed information about Configuring Hyper-V Virtual Networks, please refer to this article:

http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Understanding_and_Configuring_Hyper-V_Virtual_Networks

In addition, for the Hyper-v issue, I recommend you can post in the dedicated forum for more efficient support:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:53 AM