locked
Windows Home Server 2011 Connector stopped working after recent update RRS feed

  • Question

  • After recent MS updates, when I try to use the Dashboard Connector I get the message the server is not available.  However I can connect to the server via windows explorer.

    I then uninstalled the dashboard connector and re-installing it but during the installation I get the message:

    "Cannot connect this computer to the network

    An unexpected error has occurred. For more information, see Troubleshoot connecting computers to the server."

    Again I have no trouble connecting to the server via widows explorer and browse shared directories.

    The site recommended does not provide any assistance for me understand what is causing the issue.

    The client computer is Acer laptop running Windows 7, Home Premium, SP1. 

    The problem occurred after Security updates KB2799494, KB2797052 and KB2310138 were installed on Windows 7.  Similar updates were installed on the Windows Home Server.

    Has anyone else experience this problem?

    How can I fix it?

    Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:41 AM

Answers

  • It seems that Dashboard connector issues are common and unfortunately not easy to solve:

    One forum post has stated that this can fix the issue:

    "before re-installing everything, do a quick check to ensure that the IP name of your server is being resolved correctly by the client PC(s) and check the ClientDeploy.log file for further information."  Answer 18 in this post http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2425-whs-2011-connector-issues/


    Danny van Dam, Citrix CCIA/CCEE Microsoft MCSE Server Infrastructure/MCSE Desktop Infrastructure/MCSA Server 2008, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 http://www.citrix-guru.com http://www.rds-support.eu

    • Proposed as answer by Danny van DamMVP Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aiden_Cao Monday, February 25, 2013 5:11 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:54 PM

All replies

  • It seems that Dashboard connector issues are common and unfortunately not easy to solve:

    One forum post has stated that this can fix the issue:

    "before re-installing everything, do a quick check to ensure that the IP name of your server is being resolved correctly by the client PC(s) and check the ClientDeploy.log file for further information."  Answer 18 in this post http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2425-whs-2011-connector-issues/


    Danny van Dam, Citrix CCIA/CCEE Microsoft MCSE Server Infrastructure/MCSE Desktop Infrastructure/MCSA Server 2008, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 http://www.citrix-guru.com http://www.rds-support.eu

    • Proposed as answer by Danny van DamMVP Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aiden_Cao Monday, February 25, 2013 5:11 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.

    I restored the server to a backup, prior to the updates, and everything is working fine now. 

    I now have disabled automatic updates as obiviously recent update has issue.

    Thanks for suggestion.

    Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:30 AM