none
BMR Require All Data On Protected Drives? (2012R2) RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Do you know what files are on the 2nd volume that is causing it to be considered a critical volume for BMR ?

From an administrative command prompt Run:  DiskShadow.exe - then List Writers - and see what files are on a volume that you want to exclude from critical volumes list by looking at the SYSTEM WRITER output. see what files are on the drive letter of the volume you want to exclude.

Once you determine that, you have two choices:

A) If you can live without them - exclude the image path via the registry as per the post referenced.
    B) Reconfigure the feature so those files are moved back to C: volume so it's the only volume considered critical.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you know what files are on the 2nd volume that is causing it to be considered a critical volume for BMR ?

From an administrative command prompt Run:  DiskShadow.exe - then List Writers - and see what files are on a volume that you want to exclude from critical volumes list by looking at the SYSTEM WRITER output. see what files are on the drive letter of the volume you want to exclude.

Once you determine that, you have two choices:

A) If you can live without them - exclude the image path via the registry as per the post referenced.
    B) Reconfigure the feature so those files are moved back to C: volume so it's the only volume considered critical.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:15 PM
  • I stated it was a domain controller, but I guess I should have pointed out that the system files are active directory logs (or the active directory database).  In either case, that is the recommended configuration for domain controllers, so moving them back to the C: volume isn't really a good option.  I guess I could repartition the secondary volume into two separate volumes so the data is on a non-critical volume, but does that mean that the any volume with system files must be completely backed up for BMR, making the explicit answer to my original question "No"?

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Right, that would be the best solution - move the non-critical data do another volume. So the BMR is optimized to only include the C: and AD volume.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:43 PM