CLoud Connector - Register-CcAppliance fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've been following the directions for configuring cloud connector here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt740649.aspx

And then I moved onto the site deployment directions here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt740654.aspx

When I execute the REgister-CcAppliance script, it prompts for the password to use for the CceService account, and then the execution fails with the following errors:

Task:RegisterInstance starts at 2017-09-24T14:32:52.1516506-04:00
    Exception calling "SetInfo" with "0" argument(s): "Unspecified error
    "
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\CloudConnector\Internal\MtCommon.ps1:1375 char:5
    +     $user.SetInfo() | Out-Null
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CatchFromBaseAdapterMethodInvokeTI

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:52 PM

Answers

• Ended up solving the issue.  @Craig Chiffers' suggestion was pretty close to what was actually going on.

Prior to beginning installation of cloud connector, I disabled by antivirus and firewall products on that host.  Unfortunately, the products were a bit overzealous and some aspects of antivirus remained turned on despite being disabled.

I found logs in the management console for the security products indicating they were blocking attempts by powershell to create the cceservice account, thus causing the script to fail.

I ended up removing the products altogether and was able to run the script.  Now onto the next issue - getting my CA to reissue the certificates for my edge server since they ignored the SAN fields I specified in the CSR!

• Marked as answer by fischmanr Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:00 PM

All replies

• Looks like you are having account related issue. You could try deleting the following two .xml files 

In CCE 2.0.1

C:\ProgramData\CloudConnector\credentails..Administrator.xml
    C:\ProgramData\CloudConnector\credentials..CceService.xml

In CCE 1.4.2 and older
     “%SystemDrive%\Programdata\Cloudconnector\credentials.<CurrentUser>.xml” .

And re-run registration. 

Also this article is very helpful in troubleshooting CCE related issues. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt740658.aspx

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:00 AM
  • I'm using CCE2.0.1, and I only have a file named C:\ProgramData\CloudConnector\credentials..<adminname>.xml

I've renamed my built-in administrator account so instead of Administrator, its showing my renamed admin account.

The credentials.CceService.xml file is not present at the time the error occurs.

I've deleted the .xml file that is there and re-run registration, resulting in the exact same error.

Is there a set of powershell commands I can run that will allow me to specify all of the credentials needed so that the xml files are properly populated, and then trying to register?

THanks.

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Hi Fischmanr,

It almost sounds like the command is having issues writing to the folder to create the credentials xml file.

Try uninstalling the CCE software via the control panel, delete all folders created by CCE and then attempt to reinstall, ensuring you're using an administrator account to peform the install.

Craig
    blog.chiffers.com

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Ended up solving the issue.  @Craig Chiffers' suggestion was pretty close to what was actually going on.

Prior to beginning installation of cloud connector, I disabled by antivirus and firewall products on that host.  Unfortunately, the products were a bit overzealous and some aspects of antivirus remained turned on despite being disabled.

I found logs in the management console for the security products indicating they were blocking attempts by powershell to create the cceservice account, thus causing the script to fail.

I ended up removing the products altogether and was able to run the script.  Now onto the next issue - getting my CA to reissue the certificates for my edge server since they ignored the SAN fields I specified in the CSR!

• Marked as answer by fischmanr Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Thanks for your update

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:55 AM