wsusutil reset need to be cancelled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I initiated wsusutil /reset, but pointed to a wrong upstream server.

So the process is continuously running without any updates downloading.

Need to cancel this and restart the process pointing to the correct upstream server.

However, when I tried to change the update source from the management console, it errors out with saying that the database is too busy or not connected.

Is there anyway I can cancel wsusutil reset so that I can restart correctly instead of waiting days for the current process to finish?

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:04 AM

Answers

• No known way to kill a wsusutil reset.

Just gonna have to wait for it to finish.

How did you point it to a "wrong upstream server". As far as I know it can only be run *LOCALLY*!

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by hnkm Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:17 AM

All replies

• No known way to kill a wsusutil reset.

Just gonna have to wait for it to finish.

How did you point it to a "wrong upstream server". As far as I know it can only be run *LOCALLY*!

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by hnkm Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Hi,

I initiated wsusutil /reset, but pointed to a wrong upstream server.

So the process is continuously running without any updates downloading.

Need to cancel this and restart the process pointing to the correct upstream server.

However, when I tried to change the update source from the management console, it errors out with saying that the database is too busy or not connected.

Is there anyway I can cancel wsusutil reset so that I can restart correctly instead of waiting days for the current process to finish?

How to Reset / Stop the  wsusutil.exe  reset   command.

We had run the Reset command to clear up missing downloads to our update (WSUSContent) files.  The Reset process never did finish after 6-weeks and 2 reboots to attempt to stop it.  The Reset command likely completed its work much earlier, but failed to update the WSUS Configuration Database that it is done.

This procedure works in terminating the hung process in a Windows 2012 R2 environment, and it may work in others as you are simply changing one table field in the WSUS Configuration Database.  Use at your own risk, but the backout plan is as simple as changing the SUSDB Table entry back to where it was.  Please remember to commit your change to the database and reboot the server to complete the Kill process.

Use SQL Server Management Studio to open your database.  It works for both WID and SQL.

-          Instance name for WID 2012:    \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query

-          Your Instance Name will depend upon your version of Windows/WSUS

In your database tables for SUSDB, look for the table called: dbo.tbSingletonData.  Right-click this entry and select “edit top 200 rows.”  In the Field “ResetStateMachineNeeded” change the value from “True” to “False.”  Make sure to commit this change – save the database.  Now, close all open windows and reboot your host. 

Once the host comes back up, check your CPU usage which should now be normalized as the WSUS Reset should now be stopped.  Normal operation should resume which will probably be indicated by files now downloading from Microsoft, or you may force the synchronization to start in the main page of the WSUS Console.

Brian Kunick

CISM.HCISPP.ISSMP.CISSP.MCSE.MCSA.Security+

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:52 PM