none
MDT Deployment Pointing to the wrong share RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am experiencing a unique error. I have a few images that were custom built and deployed ZTI with MDT. When I try to boot from 1 particular one, I get an error where it is pointing to the wrong share.

Please see the image attached.

Friday, February 2, 2018 4:06 PM

Answers

• Dear lord,

The issue was 1000% on my end, I failed to call the proper Task Sequence. 001 instead of 003. Fixed that and good to go.

Thanks for all the help!

• Marked as answer by RyBell Monday, February 5, 2018 6:40 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 6:40 PM

All replies

• If you have different deployment shares and built a different boot image for each one, check your bootstrap.ini your "Deployroot=" is probably pointing to that share. Fix it and update your deployment share to rebuild the boot image.

I make use of "Location Server" so that I have an easy to use drop down menu of multiple shares while only needing to manage one boot image.

Daniel Vega

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:07 PM
  • From what I see...the pc does recognize its network adapter...it cannot deploy over wireless. So have you tried another device of the same make/model? Does this happen to all similar models, or just this one particular device?

Also, is this from the initial kickoff of your TS, or after it reboots once the OS is deployed?

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:34 PM
  • So the deployment share is pointing to the right place. I created a new image and am going to pxe from it now and will update after.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 6:50 PM
  • This happens at the end of the install, after OS was deployed. It is connected to eth so not using wireless.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 6:51 PM
  • You have all the correct drivers for that model injecting prior to the OS install?

WinPE will get you to the Share the first time, but to reconnect after reboot, it relies on the actual network driver for that model.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 7:06 PM
  • So are you saying it successfully deploys but at the end you see an error screen where the log says it was trying to connect to the wrong share?

It could be that you had a pre-existing MININT folder with logs from a previous attempt. It's really hard to tell from a picture rather than the actual BDD.log file.

Daniel Vega

Friday, February 2, 2018 8:10 PM
  • I had the same thought as you Daniel. Here's the chain of events summarized.

1. Get new Laptop 
    -> Load up all the applications / software needed
    2. sysprep / capture
    3. create LTI install from MDT w/ WDS

--- here's where I think things went weird ---
    4. Added additional software because a certain OU needs the basic + specific software the basic image OU doesnt need.
    -- I don't think I deleted the SMSTOORG and MININT folder from the first depolyment --
    5. Sysprep capture image2
    6. create LTI / deploy and get the above error.

Right now I'm just taking 4 out of box laptops, creating the 4 images independently and capturing them and doing it that way. 

Friday, February 2, 2018 8:57 PM
  • Ah, well you're better off creating your reference image using a VM rather than loading it down with hardware drivers/software that then has to be removed when it runs sysprep. 

You can easily make one base image that can be applied to many makes and models of machines, there's no need to make 4 images for 4 machines. If you require slightly different loadouts you can either make different task sequences that use the same image but deploy extra software or you can use the same task sequence but make a group or groups that are only applied to a specific machine type like laptops.

For example my Offsite and Office task sequences use the same image but install slightly different software as well as putting machines in different OUs. In the picture below is an example of applying a nested group and tasks. The parent group only applies if the make equals Dell Inc. and then one of the tasks is only run on a laptop. You can make a single task sequence very flexible.

Daniel Vega

Friday, February 2, 2018 9:32 PM
  • Dear lord,

The issue was 1000% on my end, I failed to call the proper Task Sequence. 001 instead of 003. Fixed that and good to go.

Thanks for all the help!

• Marked as answer by RyBell Monday, February 5, 2018 6:40 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 6:40 PM