The Remote session was disconnected RRS feed

• Question

• I have win server 2019.

I am getting error while RDP to the server :The remote session was disconnected because there is no RDP license server available to provide license.

So for that I have installed RDP services from the service manager.

In the RD license manager >> click on the server name>>install licenses

It asks for license program and license agreement which I cannot find.

I have Access to Microsoft partner portal & CAL licenses but i still cannot find that information.

where can i find the  license program and license agreement??????

Is this correct steps to solve the error/setup RDP server.

FYI.i am new to this

Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After removing the RDS roles, it will revert back to default settings and you can utilize remote session in administrative mode.

The error should have gone away since there is no RDS roles like RDSH or RD license.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by shardulr Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thanks for your posting. In order to remoting more than two sessions at the same time, it requested the RDS CAL to be issued and RDS session host role to be installed.

But if you only have less than 2 users need to remote the server, you could simply start remote session from the windows client by mstsc or other remote desktop clients fitting for other OS versions. It will give you the administrative access.

>>So for that I have installed RDP services from the service manager.

I am not clear that how did you install the RDS service? To allow remote session from other clients to current computer or server,  you shall need to enable the remote desktop service by following steps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-allow-access

>>I have Access to Microsoft partner portal & CAL licenses but i still cannot find that information.

where can i find the  license program and license agreement?

Have you bought the CAL for RDS? Retail or Volume License? The former one just contact your seller for details and the latter one, you can call the VLSC support:

VLSC contact:

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 5:28 AM
  • I have less than 2 user.

So for  the below error RDP server is not required??

The remote session was disconnected because there is no RDP license server available to provide license.

My concern is solving the error while accessing the server rather than installing RDP server as we don't need it much. 

I will appreciate if you just clear the things for me.

>>how should i solve the error?

>>Is the rdp server really required?   

Thank you

Friday, July 3, 2020 4:28 PM
  •  

Hi,

>>I have less than 2 user.

By default, system supports 2 simultaneously sessions(not simply 2 users). That means, if you had a user account log on the system locally, then, there is only one user allowed to establish remote desktop connection to the system at same time.

You can open Task Manager – Users tab, to check current log on user accounts and sessions.

>>My concern is solving the error while accessing the server rather than installing RDP server as we don't need it much.

As stated above, if you need less than 2 simultaneously sessions, it is not necessary to install RDS roles. You could remove the RDS roles you've installed on the server.

RDS roles:

RDCB, RD Gateway, RD Web access, RDSH or RDVH.

>>I have Access to Microsoft partner portal & CAL licenses but i still cannot find that information.

where can i find the  license program and license agreement?

If you already have bought RDS CAL, you may consider to build a RDS deployment and enable more remote sessions at the time. (depend on the CAL volume you bought)

Thanks,

Jenny

Monday, July 6, 2020 6:06 AM
  • Then how to solve the error????after uninstalling the RDP roles????

>>>The remote session was disconnected because there is no RDP license server available to provide license.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

After removing the RDS roles, it will revert back to default settings and you can utilize remote session in administrative mode.

The error should have gone away since there is no RDS roles like RDSH or RD license.

Thanks,

Jenny

• Marked as answer by shardulr Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:48 AM