my icons have disappeared in windows 7, they are there but blank, not the usual graphic, the icons are blank RRS feed

• Question

• i have my icons but they are blank. the firefox icon is ok as is explorer but is missing for adobe x reader, winzip, ms word ms excel, not just in the shortcuts but in the actual files. everything works ok. this happened randomly. please advise. thanks! the icons are not only blank in the taskbar but also in the desktop shortcuts. it seems to have affected everything except explorer and firefox.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I too have the same exact problem as Charlottecorday. It happened all of a sudden sometime last week and I put off dealing with it because I thought a restart would just take care of it, as with most problems with Windows.  However, about 10 restarts later and many attempts at trying to figure out what is going on with the IconCache.db file, I feel at a loss.  The problem persists even if I start the computer in safe mode or when I log on with the guest account.  I CAN'T find the IconCache.db file in C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local even after adjusting the settings so I can see hidden files. I am guessing that the system is somehow failing to create a new IconCache.db file even when no such file exists in the AppData\Local folder. 

I also ran sfc/scannow in cmd.exe and got a clean bill "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."  For virus protection, I use ESET NOD32 and virus definitions are uptodate and a scan didn't return any flags.

To check if the problem persists in more than one user account, I had to enable the guest account which had never been enabled before.  While the problems persisted in the guest account, in the process of setting up the desktop for the guest account I received the following error. I am not sure if is related to the icon problems or not:(Microsoft .NET framework: "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continutue. If you click quit, the application will close immediately.  Failed to create an IPC port: Acces is denied.")

The only changes that happened between the time when things worked fine and when this problem started that I can tell were: 1) that I downloaded some windows updates that were marked as critical, and 2) that I tried to allow administrative privileges to my user account by following the steps below.  Any help will be very much appreciated!  Thanks.

RESTORING ACCESS SIMILAR TO WINDOWS XP:

Resolution:

1.   Open MY COMPUTER

2.   Right click on your C: drive

3.   Click PROPERTIES

4.   Select the SECURITY tab

5.   Click the ADVANCED button

6.   Select the OWNER tab

7.   Click the EDIT button

8.   Select ADMINISTRATORS (will highlight)

9.   Enable REPLACE OWNER ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS

10. Click the APPLY button

11. Click CONTINUE on any error messages (usually just hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys)

Explanation:

Windows 7 no longer gives local administrators full access to the system, so even if you've set yourself as a local administrator, it may not allow you to save to any system protected directories. By giving ownership of the file system to the 'Administrators' group, you are effectively restoring access to everything for all accounts that are local administrators.

from <http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/3fc398a9-08f2-4946-a935-8f7fe724adb6>

• Edited by uproarhz Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, April 6, 2012 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Did this issue occur before?

You can try to rebuilt icon cache in hidden system folder location below:

C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

Delete iconcache.db, and restart PC.

If the issue persists, you can also try to create another user account and login to see if the same issue occurs. Furthermore, please make a whole disk scan to check if any virus on your machine.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:58 AM
  • thanks for replying. I have seen this suggestion in other posts though some confusedly say you should put in a blank iconcache.db file.  does this file regenerate itself? is there a danger I will make this problem worse, i.e. lose all my icon graphics. what would prevent this file from being corrupted in the future? thanks.
    Monday, April 2, 2012 11:10 PM
  • read this post. they suggest creating a dummy file. how do i do this? because when i right click to create a new file it demands a file association. i forgot how to overcome this. just deleting the icon cache is not resetting it nor is running the same set of commands through the cmd prompt. i would like to try this tip but cant create an iconcache.db file. please advise. thanks.
    http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1167743.htm
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:03 AM
  •  

Hi,

On this website: http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1167743.htm

I cannot find any information about create a dummy file, one suggestion is the same as mine to rebuild iconcache, and other isf or linux.

Meanwhile, rebuild iconcache.db will not make your problem worse and it will regenerate itself.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:59 AM
  • actually it did make my problem worse but not that much worse. it changed to a different blank icon and i cant even change the icon manually now. i am trying to repair this piecemeal for what matters most but there is some vexing issues like now when i create a rtf document, the icon is not there. the word icon is there. I made new links to all the programs in the start menu. this corruption was only for certain program icons like all microsoft, adobe reader, winzip and itunes.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Hi,

I too have the same exact problem as Charlottecorday. It happened all of a sudden sometime last week and I put off dealing with it because I thought a restart would just take care of it, as with most problems with Windows.  However, about 10 restarts later and many attempts at trying to figure out what is going on with the IconCache.db file, I feel at a loss.  The problem persists even if I start the computer in safe mode or when I log on with the guest account.  I CAN'T find the IconCache.db file in C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local even after adjusting the settings so I can see hidden files. I am guessing that the system is somehow failing to create a new IconCache.db file even when no such file exists in the AppData\Local folder. 

I also ran sfc/scannow in cmd.exe and got a clean bill "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."  For virus protection, I use ESET NOD32 and virus definitions are uptodate and a scan didn't return any flags.

To check if the problem persists in more than one user account, I had to enable the guest account which had never been enabled before.  While the problems persisted in the guest account, in the process of setting up the desktop for the guest account I received the following error. I am not sure if is related to the icon problems or not:(Microsoft .NET framework: "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continutue. If you click quit, the application will close immediately.  Failed to create an IPC port: Acces is denied.")

The only changes that happened between the time when things worked fine and when this problem started that I can tell were: 1) that I downloaded some windows updates that were marked as critical, and 2) that I tried to allow administrative privileges to my user account by following the steps below.  Any help will be very much appreciated!  Thanks.

RESTORING ACCESS SIMILAR TO WINDOWS XP:

Resolution:

1.   Open MY COMPUTER

2.   Right click on your C: drive

3.   Click PROPERTIES

4.   Select the SECURITY tab

5.   Click the ADVANCED button

6.   Select the OWNER tab

7.   Click the EDIT button

8.   Select ADMINISTRATORS (will highlight)

9.   Enable REPLACE OWNER ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS

10. Click the APPLY button

11. Click CONTINUE on any error messages (usually just hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys)

Explanation:

Windows 7 no longer gives local administrators full access to the system, so even if you've set yourself as a local administrator, it may not allow you to save to any system protected directories. By giving ownership of the file system to the 'Administrators' group, you are effectively restoring access to everything for all accounts that are local administrators.

from <http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/3fc398a9-08f2-4946-a935-8f7fe724adb6>

• Edited by uproarhz Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, April 6, 2012 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:01 AM