Couple of questions about Boundary Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a couple of quick questions about boundary groups which I haven't quite been able to find the answers to. Our scenario is this: we are running CM 2012 SP1. One primary site, 4 remote locations, approx 4000 clients. This far we have been able to get away with 2 DPs both at the main site / location. However we now feel the need to add a distribution point to one of the remote sites to ease traffic on the site-site link when imaging.

Question 1 - if I setup boundaries based on AD site will this affect bare metal installs if we are PXE botting unknown machines which are not yet in AD?

Question 2 - for the remote location where we are adding a new DP - can we add all our DPs as content locations for the boundary but get clients to use the local DP as preference? (can the fast / slow connection option be used for this) Or is it best practice to only add the local DP as a content location for the boundary? The reason I ask this is that we may not have disk space on the new DP to add all packages, applications, operating system images etc.

Question 3 - if we do make all DPs available to the remote boundary would it matter if all content was not available on the local DP? When running OSD from PXE and it does the resolving TS dependencies part - how does a client determine which DP to use and would it fail if all content was not available on the local DP or would it be OK as long as the content was on one of the DPs?

Many thanks,

Jay

• Edited by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:15 AM

Answers

• Jaysoul,

Question 1 - if I setup boundaries based on AD site will this affect bare metal installs if we are PXE botting unknown machines which are not yet in AD?

No impact at all. 

Question 2 - for the remote location where we are adding a new DP - can we add all our DPs as content locations for the boundary but get clients to use the local DP as preference? 

Take a look at the following Technet article, in particular 'As a best practice, create boundary groups for site assignment and another set of boundary groups for content location. '

http://blogs.technet.com/b/elie/archive/2012/05/14/system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part3-boundaries-and-boundary-groups.aspx

Rather than adding all DP's you can flag the content that will not be available on the local DP. Each application as a  'Allow fallback source location for content’ tick box. You would then have to set the required DP's to allow for fallback.

Some details here

https://blogs.technet.com/b/neilp/archive/2013/01/03/on-demand-content-distribution-fallback-distribution-points-a-2012-configuration-manager-micro-depp-dive.aspx

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:41 AM
  • We appear to have this sorted now. I now only have the local DP added to the boundary group in question. And then I just needed to go into the Deployment properties for each OSD Task Sequence and tick the two boxes on the Distribution Points tab for:

When no local distribution point is available, use a remote distribution point

Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content

In doing so it seems clients can download the WIM (largest part of OSD) from the local DP but are allowed to download any additional apps or packages not present on the local DP from a remote DP. Exactly as we wanted.

• Marked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:28 PM

All replies

• Jaysoul,

No impact at all. 

Question 2 - for the remote location where we are adding a new DP - can we add all our DPs as content locations for the boundary but get clients to use the local DP as preference? 

Take a look at the following Technet article, in particular 'As a best practice, create boundary groups for site assignment and another set of boundary groups for content location. '

http://blogs.technet.com/b/elie/archive/2012/05/14/system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part3-boundaries-and-boundary-groups.aspx

Rather than adding all DP's you can flag the content that will not be available on the local DP. Each application as a  'Allow fallback source location for content’ tick box. You would then have to set the required DP's to allow for fallback.

Some details here

https://blogs.technet.com/b/neilp/archive/2013/01/03/on-demand-content-distribution-fallback-distribution-points-a-2012-configuration-manager-micro-depp-dive.aspx

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Many thanks Paul. Some very useful information there. 

Jay

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:27 AM
  • Just had another thought...

Does the 'allow clients to use a fallback source location for content' option exist on Operating System Images and Packages?

I can only find this option on Applications. What are the implications for Operating System Images and old style Packages being located on a Fallback DP?

EDIT: I can now see that the option is available on the Task Sequence Deployment Properties.

I have just read this: When the content is not available on a preferred distribution point, the client uses another distribution point for the content source location. Will the client check other preferred DPs if it does not find the content on the first one it chooses?

Thanks,

Jay

• Edited by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:51 AM
  • We appear to have this sorted now. I now only have the local DP added to the boundary group in question. And then I just needed to go into the Deployment properties for each OSD Task Sequence and tick the two boxes on the Distribution Points tab for:

When no local distribution point is available, use a remote distribution point

Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content

In doing so it seems clients can download the WIM (largest part of OSD) from the local DP but are allowed to download any additional apps or packages not present on the local DP from a remote DP. Exactly as we wanted.

• Marked as answer by Jaysoul Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Excellent news.

Cheers

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:32 PM