Newbie question about client updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I just installed WSUS (version 6.3.9600.16384) on Windows 2012 R2 server.  I have setup the group policy option to configure automatic updates by enabling and selecting "Auto download and schedule the install".  Here is my question:  I noticed there is another policy for configuring automatic updates behavior so I enabled also the "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations".   Can someone verify they can be used together?   My goal is to be able to install the updates but I need to control how my clients get rebooted manually (which are all servers).  Please advise.

Thanks!

Monday, June 15, 2015 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi

If wsus updates apply without anyone logged in,and at least one update requies a restart,then the computer restart.That's down to the natüre of the updates themselves,and not all updates will require a restart.If you don't want a restart to take place beacuse you're a server,then dont force the updates to apply automatically,Do those manually.

edit Wsus gpo-> Cofigure automatic updates -select 3-Auto download and notify for install.

• Proposed as answer by Burak Uğur Monday, June 15, 2015 3:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:40 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Thank you -- will do.
    • Marked as answer by DL_Fan Monday, June 15, 2015 3:20 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi

if you enable"No auto-restart for Schedule Automatic Updates installations" automatic updates will not start,if a user is logged in to the computer.

if you need to manually reboot, configure "re-prompt for restart with scheduled installation" set the waiting time.

Monday, June 15, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Hello,

It is a server so no user will be logged into the computer at the time of day that I set.  So will that work?  Please advise.  Thank you.

Monday, June 15, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hi

If wsus updates apply without anyone logged in,and at least one update requies a restart,then the computer restart.That's down to the natüre of the updates themselves,and not all updates will require a restart.If you don't want a restart to take place beacuse you're a server,then dont force the updates to apply automatically,Do those manually.

edit Wsus gpo-> Cofigure automatic updates -select 3-Auto download and notify for install.

• Proposed as answer by Burak Uğur Monday, June 15, 2015 3:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:40 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Thank you -- will do.
    • Marked as answer by DL_Fan Monday, June 15, 2015 3:20 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 3:20 PM