SharePoint 2010 Document library views Threshold error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have a situation where I created multiple nested folder hierarchies in the document library to store files for employees(so total number of files are less than 2000 files per folder. Its working perfectly fine in that manner. There are total of 7500 documents spread across different folder.

Now there is a requirement to filter the group of records based on the metadata. When I try to filter the metadata(out of the box view), it redirects error page to increase the threshold. I increased it for testing but it kills the performance all around. How can I make the filter records using views without fetching all records and without increasing the threshold limit

Appreciate any sample codes or assistance in this regard.

Shri

Monday, July 13, 2015 7:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that when you filter documents in a view, it throws threshold error.

By default, the list view threshold limitation is 5000, so when the item number in the view exceed the limitation, it will throw such error.

If you don't want to increase the threshold limitation, I suggest you can create a week view or a month view by filter the "Created" field value in 7Days Range or 30 Days Range to make sure the items number in the view is less than 5000. Then you can set the new view as the default view. Then it will avoid the error.

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Thanks Jerry Zy. This is not working as expected then. I thought the same initially that the query will be filtered if I apply for 1 month or 2 months. However to filter for 7 days or 1 month, the default list view checks each and every record if it matches with the date criteria and then perform the result I believe. My result returns only 25 records out of 7000 records since I give duration and other metadata filter. It throws threshold error in this scenario.

Many thanks if you have any sample or reference link to handle threshold with out of the box view

Thanks

Shri

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Go to the library settings and select Indexed columns.  Add a new index and select your managed metadata column you are filtering on.  I believe this will help with your view and allow it to work.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

Here are some detailed articles for your reference:

September 2013: Working with List View Thresholds in SharePoint

Working Around that Pesky List View Threshold in Office 365 & SharePoint 2013

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:46 AM