none
Project Group Name Blank when editing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

When editing a Manage Group in Project Server 2013, the group name is blank in the edit form.

The group names are listed when you first go into project manage groups. However when you click on the group name to make changes, the group name is blank.

I also noticed that this occurs for two other groups and these same groups have an active directory sync associated with team.

Has anyone seen this before and found a solution?

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Monday, August 8, 2016 6:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

I have seen this issue. However it was happening intermittently.

Steps to repro: Server Settings >> Manage Group >> Edit one of the Project Server Security Groups for which you already have the AD group set

Result: You get Blank Name for Project Security Group and AD Security Group. You wont be able make any changes to the security group as save operation will return the error due to blank group name.

I was getting below error in ULS log:

Medium    Error is: GeneralUnhandledException. Details: General Unhandled Exception in _Admin.ResolveActiveDirectoryGroups_ Attributes:  System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.GetFormsAuthenticationProviderName(Uri context, SPUrlZone zone)     at

Below steps helped to resolve the issue:

Make sure the PWA url you are accessing is Alternate Access Mapping default zone. For me it was in custom zone and it started working as soon as I added the URL in default zone under Alternate Access Mapping.

If that doesn't help then Make sure "Authenticated Users" has "read" permissions on all SharePoint Service accounts. In my case it was missing for service app pool account. Steps: AD console > edit the AD service account object > Security tab > Select "Authenticated Users" > ensure "Read" permissions are enabled

Hope this helps :)

Kiran K.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

I have seen this issue. However it was happening intermittently.

Steps to repro: Server Settings >> Manage Group >> Edit one of the Project Server Security Groups for which you already have the AD group set

Result: You get Blank Name for Project Security Group and AD Security Group. You wont be able make any changes to the security group as save operation will return the error due to blank group name.

I was getting below error in ULS log:

Medium    Error is: GeneralUnhandledException. Details: General Unhandled Exception in _Admin.ResolveActiveDirectoryGroups_ Attributes:  System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ClaimsHelper.GetFormsAuthenticationProviderName(Uri context, SPUrlZone zone)     at

Below steps helped to resolve the issue:

Make sure the PWA url you are accessing is Alternate Access Mapping default zone. For me it was in custom zone and it started working as soon as I added the URL in default zone under Alternate Access Mapping.

If that doesn't help then Make sure "Authenticated Users" has "read" permissions on all SharePoint Service accounts. In my case it was missing for service app pool account. Steps: AD console > edit the AD service account object > Security tab > Select "Authenticated Users" > ensure "Read" permissions are enabled

Hope this helps :)

Kiran K.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 11:35 AM
  • Thanks Kiran K

That was very insightful and help me get this resolved.

There were several things that may have been causing this.  I had project server service running on front end and I stopped service and ensure that it was running on middle tier.

I also update the AAM to use something like PPM to point to the server and that seem to fix it.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Monday, August 15, 2016 1:15 PM