XP client printing to 2008 x64 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We just got a new windows 2008 x64 server.  This needs to be a print server for all of our XP x32 client computers.  I can not find ANY where on how to get this server to serve out 32 bit drivers for the client computers.  Isn't the purpose of a printer server to serve out drivers for ALL other OS's?  I'm surprised that I can not find ANY information on doing this.

I've got an HP LaserJet 4100 and both sets of x32 and x64 drivers.  The x64 driver is installed and prints fine from the server.  But I don't understand how to get the x32 driver associated with it so the rest of the xp clients can connect to the printer.

Can someone help out with this?  This should be easy shouldn't it?

thanks,
    -Jes
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the 32-bit printer driver cannot be installed on Windows Server 2008 64bit server.

Please be assured that we need to manually install 32bit drivers on a Windows 64bit 2008 printer server since the 32bit drivers are not stored on 64bit server.

In this case, please try the following two methods to install the additional printer driver.

Method 1 (Preferred):

Step 1. Share a x64 print queue out

==============================
    On the x64 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x64 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Login with the Domain Administrator account or Local Admin account
    Click on Start, Control Panel, Printers, Press the ALT button or Click on Organize, Layout, Menu Bar
    Click on File
    Click on Run as administrator
    Click on Add Printer...
    Choose "Add a local printer" or "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

And go through the rest of the steps to install a printer and make sure that you share it for example PrintShare1.

Step 2. Add the x86 print driver
    ==============================

On a x86 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x86 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Login with the Domain Administrator account
    Click on Start, \\x64W2K8 PrintServer (or a x64 Vista acting as a Print Server)
    Double click on "Printers"
    Right click on the PrintShare1
    Click on the "Sharing" tab
    Click on the "Additional Drivers..."
    Check the box for 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Click on Ok
    Click on Close

Method 2 (Alternate):

On a x64 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x64 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Click on Start, Control Panel
    Double click on Printers
    Press the ALT button

or

Click on Organize, Layout, Menu Bar
    Click on File, Run as administrator, Server Properties...
    Click on the Drivers tab
    Click on Add...
    Click on Next
    Uncheck the 'x64 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Check the 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Click on Have Disk...
    Click on Browse... (to the x86 (32-bit) machine)
    \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prn*.inf_{GUID}

or

\\x86Vista\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prn*.inf_{GUID}

For example: \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp001.inf_5fecfc5e\prnhp001.inf

Click on Open
    Click on Ok
    Under "Printers"
    Select the print driver that you want to install
    Click on Next
    Click on Finish
    Now you should be able to see the x86 print drivers installed under the "Processor" column.
    Click on Close

For your reference, here is some useful information about managing printer driver.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

Does it work?

If this issue still persists, please collect the MPSReport from the Windows 64bit 2008 printer server.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", <and other necessary catalog>, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Please send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:56 AM