Permission Group - Submit to list only RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list where we want all users in our company to submit to. We don't want them to be able to modify anything else on the site. I created a group called List Submitters and a permission set called List Submissions where I have the following boxes checked for list permissions...

*Add Items, Edit Items, View Items

and under site permissions..

*View Pages, Open

I can add items to the list (but I'm also site admin) but regular users who should be in the AD group we added to the SP group can see the web part view. They see New and Actions (with sub to RSS). When they click New it then tells them access denied. What other permissions would they need checked? Thanks!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:13 PM admin *question* (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:36 PM

Answers

• It can't be done using the permissions system in SharePoint.  In order to add an item to a list you must also have edit capability.  The normal workaround is to have users submit to a list where they have Add and Edit permissions and then have a workflow or Event Receiver that moves the list item to another list where they have more restricted permissions.  
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• It can't be done using the permissions system in SharePoint.  In order to add an item to a list you must also have edit capability.  The normal workaround is to have users submit to a list where they have Add and Edit permissions and then have a workflow or Event Receiver that moves the list item to another list where they have more restricted permissions.  
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Understood, thank you for this information.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:10 PM