Trouble with network share write access (not using Simple File Sharing) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Workgroup Networking, and I am not using Simple File Sharing on any folder in the directory path. The server system is running XP Media Center Edition SP2, the client is running XP Professional SP3 .

I've created a folder on a partitioned disk on the server system and applied the following changes:

1) Right-click + Properties + Sharing tab + "Share this folder" radio button.

2) Permissions... button on same tab, group Everyone, with Full Control, Change, and Read checked.

3) Right-click +Properties + Security tab + group Everyone, all checked but Special Permissions.

I then restarted both machines, which did not avoid the following problem:

When accessing the folder from the client networked machine, and trying to create a file system object, I get the error "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'. Access is denied.". However, I do have read access to all the files in the folder.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

P.S. I upgraded the XP Media Center Edition server to SP3, with no change in the results.
    • Edited by John-L_ Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:37 PM added postcript
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:48 PM

Answers

• Give write access, read access wont let you create folders. Also try by giving full access.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 5, 2013 3:19 AM